CO2 Kettle Purging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaysquared2

Reaction score
How would one go about purging a kettle of oxygen without any kind of ports on the kettle? I've read about using bottled carbonated water. Could I also just connect some tubing to the end of the CO2 tank regulator and set it to as low a psi as it can go and stick the tubing into the kettle/wort and blast it with some CO2 for a bit? All things I've seen just talk about connecting the tank to the out port on their kettle, but my kettle is port-less.

If you're kettle souring, I wouldn't bother purging. It's pointless and ineffective in my opinion.

Depending on what you're doing, you could also just use a stainless pizza pan, lid, round cake pan, or other similar thing that floats and put it on top of the wort. This drastically reduces the surface area and thus drastically slows the rate of oxygen diffusion into the wort.

Latest posts

Back