CO2 Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkctax

Reaction score
All,

I have a kegerator into which I typically place two sixtel sankey kegs. I have modified the sankey hookups to attach directly to two 5 gallon corny kegs for my homebrew. I recently replaced one of the corny kegs with a new one cotaining a Porter that I brewed. I had no issues with the IPA that was in the corny previously but now with the new homebrew corny I keep draining my 5 gallon tanks of CO2. Thoughts as to what is causing? I am using a new regulator but it is a nice one that I have used in the past with my sankey kegs. I have now drainined two 5 gallon tanks of co2 and don't want to lose anotehr. Any thoughts on what teh problem is and how I shoudl troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated.

you mean 5lb tanks?

i'd check the o-rings....maybe vasoline the PRV/Gas post.....or keg lube them.....make sure the PRV isn't loose....sometimes they twist a bit when venting....

and i'd also add, if your reg has a shut-off, keep it off till you find the leak.....shut it off for a while then turn it on to see if it held pressure....I HATE CO2 leaks! ;) (not that co2 costs much, but it makes me feel like a lamer....so i know the feeling!)

thanks very very much. And these damn CO2 leaks do also make me feel like such a nube.

i know it! when i thought it was normal for a 5lb tank to last a couple weeks, i upgraded to a 20lb'r....and for a while thought they were only supposed to last a month!! now i get about a year out of a 20lb'r carbing and pushing 2 kegs a week, takes about an ounce of co2 a day.....(i started keeping my tank on a digital postal scale all the time! ;))

All,

I have a kegerator into which I typically place two sixtel sankey kegs. I have modified the sankey hookups to attach directly to two 5 gallon corny kegs for my homebrew. I recently replaced one of the corny kegs with a new one cotaining a Porter that I brewed. I had no issues with the IPA that was in the corny previously but now with the new homebrew corny I keep draining my 5 gallon tanks of CO2. Thoughts as to what is causing? I am using a new regulator but it is a nice one that I have used in the past with my sankey kegs. I have now drainined two 5 gallon tanks of co2 and don't want to lose anotehr. Any thoughts on what teh problem is and how I shoudl troubleshoot would be greatly appreciated.

I really hate to be a PITA, but was the new keg pressure tested leaving the CO2 connected to carbonate?

I really suggest a full test at all connections... hook it all up, crank the co2 pressure up high, and spray star san (dilited to regular strength) all over the connections. Any leaks will make bubbles (just like the utility guys use a soapy water spray to look for gas leaks).
Every possible leaky potential spot (keg posts, barbs, etc.). Sometimes the psi set to 30 psi you can hear the leak!

I kept fixing one thing at a time without realing i had multiple leak points.

I suggest looking for the easiest cheapest areas to fix first. Then worry about a bad regulator.

Just my $0.02.

Just as Nate R suggest, I would check all connection, to include your keg, in and out posts, the cap. Pressure releif valve. I had my cap causing a small leak, I pulled my cap off, relubed and attached the cap again, Had no issues after that.

i know it! when i thought it was normal for a 5lb tank to last a couple weeks, i upgraded to a 20lb'r....and for a while thought they were only supposed to last a month!! now i get about a year out of a 20lb'r carbing and pushing 2 kegs a week, takes about an ounce of co2 a day.....(i started keeping my tank on a digital postal scale all the time! ;))

i know it's not normal to quote yourself, but.....i just filled a keg, but the first empty one i grabbed i went to release the pressure from to clean it.....needless to say when it was quiet....i got scared and said, i'll pick another one.....i pressurized it empty, dissconnected, and will see if i get a hiss in the morning, and day after....otherwise, it's a hunt! (i just lost a pound of co2, wonder if this S.O.B. was it)

and i remember when i was screwing my bev out post back in of these the dip tube got twist and was at an angle so if this is that one, probably the little o-ring on the dip tube....

The Fight Is Real!!! :mug:

Just as Nate R suggest, I would check all connection, to include your keg, in and out posts, the cap. Pressure releif valve. I had my cap causing a small leak, I pulled my cap off, relubed and attached the cap again, Had no issues after that.

Sometimes simply turning the cap 180 degrees solves a cap leak.

Back