Co2 Inside or Outside - any difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedward

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any real difference between having the CO2 inside or outside the keezer? Does it make a difference for force carbing at all? I saw the pressure dip overnight when kept in the 40 degree keezer and was wondering if it made any difference at all.

TIA

Other than taking up more room there isn't really much difference. The regulator should keep the output pressure the same regardless of a drop in tank pressure.

+1; The output pressure will be the same either way.

I went outside because:

More room in fridge
If it's a steel tank, it is prone to rust on the bottom (I have one tank I rubber dipped)
Easier to adjust/see gauges
High pressure gauge is more accurate at room temp; either way it will read lowish until it's just about gone, and will drop suddenly.

EITHER IN OR OUT IS FINE! It's just a matter of preference, or pros/cons based on your setup. Hope this helps!

to squeeze very last oz out of it, I would think that keeping it warm would yeild more in the end as it would get to a useless pressure more slowly... I'll think about this again and maybe pull out pvnrt unless someone wants to do the math for me. :) I'm druc.

If it's a steel tank, it is prone to rust on the bottom (I have one tank I rubber dipped)

I keep mine inside (space it takes up is irrelevant for me since it is on the 'compressor shelf') but I am totally stealing that idea when I repaint my 2 steel bottles. In fact, I think Plasti-dip makes a spray paint version. I think I'll do that.

KRYLON! My dad had a can of rubber dip he was going to throw away; I would think the krylon stuff would work, or the spray rubber dip (have not seen it personally).

You won't notice a difference until the tank is nearly empty. You'll get slightly less gas out of a cold tank vs. a warm one.

Tom

KRYLON! My dad had a can of rubber dip he was going to throw away; I would think the krylon stuff would work, or the spray rubber dip (have not seen it personally).

Home Depot carries the spray on Plasti-Dip in their spray paint section (at least here they did) and it works great.

I sanded the 2 steel co2 tanks I have, securely suspended them in the garage, painted them with white primer and then masked off the bottom third of the tank and sprayed with plasti-dip. Now I have white tanks with black bottoms. No more rust from in-kegerator condensation for me! : ) Later I may paint the top 2/3 with something shiney.

And they look sharp--- which only matters if you like your presentation to be nice.

Back