CO2 inflation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
been a very long while since i had to refill, but i just swapped my 10# tank at the Airgas here in san francisco. $58. wow.

44.54 for actual gas.
2.63 processing fee
6.49 hazmat fee?

4.40 in tax

god damn.

could have sworn the last time it was only like 40 bucks.

This makes me happy to live in the mid west. My 5lb tank is 15 bucks to fill and I keep the tank. A 20lb fill is 25 bucks again, keeping the tank. That's at the local homebrew store. I didn't bother pricing at AirGas cause I couldn't keep my tank.

I have no idea why its so expensive. Like i said, last time it was around 40. Which is still pricey. Unfortunately none of the shops around here usually have 10# tanks so i went to airgas.

Straight refill is always cheaper, but out here its all swaps. Still, that’s downright robbery.

That's an insane price for the gas. I pay about $25 for an exchange at Alliance Gas in Oakland.

The price of food grade CO2 is OUT OF HAND. Airgas seems to be the only show in town (Hampton Roads VA) and costs me $50 for 2 X 5lb bottle swaps last week. Was thinking about upgrading from a 4 tap to a 5tap keezer, but now thinking about a more elegant 2 or 3 tap system and doing more 22oz bottles.

The price of food grade CO2 is OUT OF HAND. Airgas seems to be the only show in town (Hampton Roads VA) and costs me $50 for 2 X 5lb bottle swaps last week. Was thinking about upgrading from a 4 tap to a 5tap keezer, but now thinking about a more elegant 2 or 3 tap system and doing more 22oz bottles.
Depending on how much of a difference "food grade" co2 makes, there IS another option in the area. Fire Services Inc on Bayside rd near diamond springs rd in VA Beach refills bottles on site. He gets around $13 for a 5 lb refill and $22 for a 20 lb refill. If the bottle needs to be hydro tested, he sends them out and 2 weeks later gets them back. The charge for the hydro is $15.

I think I paid about $48 last time I got my 20# tank swapped, but that included a re-certification fee since my tank was expired.

These prices are nuts. Discount liquor in Milwaukee, WI refilled my 5lb tank for $6.50.

That's a bit further of a drive for me, but for that price it might be worth it. So far the only time I've had a tank filled up here was at Alienman in Waunakee it was $20 for a 5#. Currently in the process of ordering a 10# tank and I'll see how much they charge for that.

In Omaha, I just paid $10 for 5 lbs at a fire extinguisher place for a refill. I paid $5 for a paintball tank refill a couple weeks ago and I think it was $18 the last time I filled my 10 lb tank about 2 months ago.

California. The people are reaping what they have sown. Taxes, regulations, inflation, corruption... you name it.

I can get a 5lb swap here (Seattle area) for $15-$20 depending on where I go. The $20 one is about 3 minutes from work, the $15 is my LHBS a ways away so I gladly pay the extra $5 for convenience.

whats their price by size/pounds? and is it food grade? im in east bay often enough i dont mind stopping off 880.

This makes me happy to live in the mid west. My 5lb tank is 15 bucks to fill and I keep the tank. A 20lb fill is 25 bucks again, keeping the tank. That's at the local homebrew store. I didn't bother pricing at AirGas cause I couldn't keep my tank.

I'm in the midwest also. The last tank I got was about $14.

I used to have tanks that needed inspections, but now they just swap out whatever I have for one of theirs. Now I have all new tanks and I don't have to worry about the $35 inspection fee anymore.

Back