Cost of CO2?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natural320

Reaction score
I guess it has been a hot minute since I needed a refill, but I just went searching across Dallas - Ft Worth area for places to swap my 5lb tank, and it was quite a chore! Back in Philly, every beer distributor did swaps for $12-15. easy peasy.
but here in TX, man, are people not kegging or doing their man-cave bud light sam's club kegerators or whatever? it seems like one HAS to go to an industrial gas supplier (airgas, welding, fire fighting, etc) because there were ZERO beer selling places that offered CO2. which was crazy to me. then the kicker was because the 5 pounder is "so small" there were only 2 locations that would even do it!
so I bit the bullet and went to airgas...and was promptly charged $30 for the 5LB swap

is this the new normal? I had my 20LB tank swapped about a year ago (here in TX) and it was less than $25, so I am dreading when that big boy runs out at this point

curious to hear what you guys are paying these days...
cheers!

I only know of one beer shop in plano that swaps 5lb tanks for $20. I have found an equipment supply in downtown Dallas called Bacon Equipment that filled my 20 lb tank for less than $20. Park it market in Dallas also does 5 lb fills, but I do not know the price. I've gone to a welding shop before for a swap at about $15 for 5 lb tank.

I feel the same...seems inconvenient to ge Co2 around here, so I invested in a 20 lb tank. Probably should get another as well.

oh I actually heard of Bacon, but I was trying to avoid having to drive that far, but that price is definitely tempting. I work in Grand Prairie and live in Colleyville BTW

You may be able to find CO2 at paintball and hydroponics shops. I use a local paintball supplier to fill my tanks.

You may be able to find CO2 at paintball and hydroponics shops. I use a local paintball supplier to fill my tanks.

according to some 6+ year old posts, there was a chain of paintball supply stores around here that actually advertised that their CO2 was perfect for beer dispensing. BUT, when I tried to track them down (links were dead), I discovered that they went under. sucks for me, but probably worse for them! and the few I did find told me that they specialize in either the teeny 20oz-ers or the 2.5lb mini tanks. errrrr!

I'm currently having the same issue. I'm being a little neurotic about my CO2 tank. We just bought a brand new kegerator that came with a nice new co2 tank. I don't want to swap my nice, new tank for someone else's old, beat up tank. I want mine filled! I found a bunch of places near me that will swap them for 20 bucks but I couldn't find anyone to fill them. I finally found a place that's about 45 min away that will fill for 15. They happen to be right next to one of my favorite breweries in Gurnee IL so it just gives me an excuse to go there!

Yeah I always used a paintball shop in NRH. Think I went to a liquor store off 35 one time for a swap. Cant remember the name. What about Stubby's homebrew in Haltom? Or that big one in Dallas probably has tanks too.

That said, Im surprised Airgas charged you so much. They might just not deal with 5lbers too much, wonder if they'd fill for cheaper than a swap? I think they might charge me less than $30 to swap my 20lb tank. Been awhile since Ive had to swap it out so I might be wrong. In OR now instead of Tx but things are typically more expensive here to boot.

26 bucks here. I finally bought a ten pound bottle and refill from it with a paintball transfer kit I bought. A ten pound bottle swap is 33 dollars here.

also if you use paintball tanks with an adapter you can go to dicks oir academy for refills. Its not bev gas of course but Ive never noticed any oil or anything in it ever when I have got a refill from there

also if you use paintball tanks with an adapter you can go to dicks oir academy for refills. Its not bev gas of course but Ive never noticed any oil or anything in it ever when I have got a refill from there

Is that why Dicks won't fill them, because they're different connections? I tried and they wouldn't fill mine but didn't say why.

@rob2010SS What place did you find to do the refill? I am in Cary and also looking to get mine refilled.

@rob2010SS What place did you find to do the refill? I am in Cary and also looking to get mine refilled.

@mdzwolf I found 2. One is Grow Masters in Gurnee, IL. He said he'd charge $15 I think... Don't quote me on that but he fills them, no exchanging necessary. As long as the date on the tank is valid. The other place is Great Lakes Fire and Safety in McHenry, IL. They also fill the tanks as long as the date is valid but they did say it's not instantaneous. You'd have to leave it there and come back for it. Not sure if you called them and gave them a heads up you were coming if they could do any better... worth a shot though.

Hope that helps.

Yeah I always used a paintball shop in NRH. Think I went to a liquor store off 35 one time for a swap. Cant remember the name. What about Stubby's homebrew in Haltom? Or that big one in Dallas probably has tanks too.

That said, Im surprised Airgas charged you so much. They might just not deal with 5lbers too much, wonder if they'd fill for cheaper than a swap? I think they might charge me less than $30 to swap my 20lb tank. Been awhile since Ive had to swap it out so I might be wrong. In OR now instead of Tx but things are typically more expensive here to boot.

I think Airgas tried to tell me that included in the price is keeping the tanks certified so you don't have to worry about it. The welding shop I exchanged mine with didn't even ask about the date. They just took it. Much cheaper than Airgas.

Around here it's literally a $5 increase to swap a 20lb tank as opposed to a 5 lb. Like $25 to $30. I use my LHBS or Roberts Oxygen depending on what's convenient, both do swaps for about the same price (LHBS insignificantly more expensive). If I didn't get my two 5lb tanks for free I would have bought a used 20 lb tank.

Virtually no one around here fills. An out of the way LHBS will, but it's not convenient and they will ONLY fill empty tanks, not partial, at which point may as well just swap.

Around here it's literally a $5 increase to swap a 20lb tank as opposed to a 5 lb. Like $25 to $30. I use my LHBS or Roberts Oxygen depending on what's convenient, both do swaps for about the same price (LHBS insignificantly more expensive). If I didn't get my two 5lb tanks for free I would have bought a used 20 lb tank.

Virtually no one around here fills. An out of the way LHBS will, but it's not convenient and they will ONLY fill empty tanks, not partial, at which point may as well just swap.

you cant really fill a partially empty tank is why. You have to weigh what you put in and you cant get a tare weight from a partially empty bottle. I fill my own from a 10 pound tank I refill. The empty tank also needs to be cold.. Sometimes if theres enough co2 left it will cool the bottle when you empty it.

Locally we have an ice manufacturing facility that fills them for about $20. I have 2 20s (Craigslist) and to swap them at a hydroponic shop it's about $25 if they're expired and need a certification. Same tank is about $10 less without it.

Trades people like welders and HVAC guys use 20 pounders, and some/few 10 pounders. It's $20 to swap a 20 pound tank around Chicago land, at a HVAC supply place. I use a refrigeration hose connected to the tanks to fill them. Put the smaller tank in the freezer for a few days, and flip the big tank up side down, and weigh in the charge starting from the tare weight. You'll learn about purging the lines and the possibility of explosion or burns if done wrong, over filling,,, bla bla bla.... I'm not going to "safety Sally you" It's not hard to weigh in a charge to a smaller tank just follow the rules. Then it's about a buck a pound to fill the smaller tank

Does myLHBS swap 20 lb tanks? I bought a 20 lb tank last year that had a handle/guard, but couldn't find anyone to fill it, so I swapped it at Jay's for one without a handle. :( Just checked and it looks like Jay's now fills tanks (that may be who you're talking about).

Prices are pretty standard here I guess, $25 for a 20# fill, $20 for 5# fill. I go to a fire equipment repair place and they will do a fill for me. I don't want to say goodbye to my shiny aluminum tanks.

Does myLHBS swap 20 lb tanks? I bought a 20 lb tank last year that had a handle/guard, but couldn't find anyone to fill it, so I swapped it at Jay's for one without a handle. :( Just checked and it looks like Jay's now fills tanks (that may be who you're talking about).

I don't have a 20lber at home so I don't know. And yes, Jay's fills.

Is that why Dicks won't fill them, because they're different connections? I tried and they wouldn't fill mine but didn't say why.

They told me it was a liability issue. Kids would be up and down the isles shooting at each other. Not saying I believed them, just that's what I was told.

Roberts will swap up to a larger tank. I took them 2 5lb tanks and swapped them for 20lb tanks. I think there was a charge, but I remember it being very reasonable. Biggest benefits are not having to swap tanks that often AND the 20#'s of gas is insignificantly more $ that the 5#! Last time they swapped they gave me a brand new aluminum tank to boot. I don't think I have been back in well over a year...

Yeah that's not surprising. I'll ask next time I'm in there. I need to swap out a 5 lb anyway, may be worth upgrading to a 20 if it's reasonable.

Wow. It's comparatively cheap for refills here in middle Georgia... Five minutes of driving and $10 gets me 5lbs of CO2 and I even get to keep my nice new Kegco tank.

Of course, this is from a local welding supply. AirGas is more in line with what y'all are paying and they swap tanks. Guess who doesn't get my business...

Wow. It's comparatively cheap for refills here in middle Georgia... Five minutes of driving and $10 gets me 5lbs of CO2 and I even get to keep my nice new Kegco tank.

Of course, this is from a local welding supply. AirGas is more in line with what y'all are paying and they swap tanks. Guess who doesn't get my business...

I'm glad you posted this. I live in the Warner Robins area and just bought a kegerator about a month ago which came with 2 brand new 5 lb CO2 tanks. I'm in Afghanistan until next April, but I need to find a good supplier before I get home.

I'm glad you posted this. I live in the Warner Robins area and just bought a kegerator about a month ago which came with 2 brand new 5 lb CO2 tanks. I'm in Afghanistan until next April, but I need to find a good supplier before I get home.

I'm in the same area though my profile says Macon...

I use Jones Welding Supply in Centerville.

Thanks for your service and come home safe!:mug:

In the Sacramento area I cant find anyplace for less than 30 for a 5lb'r.

I am having the same problem in Sacramento. In Portland and Berkeley the prices were always less than half that. Anyone know a local place that fills for less?

you cant really fill a partially empty tank is why. You have to weigh what you put in and you cant get a tare weight from a partially empty bottle. I fill my own from a 10 pound tank I refill. The empty tank also needs to be cold.. Sometimes if theres enough co2 left it will cool the bottle when you empty it.

The tare weight should be stamped into the bottle.

I go to a welding shop. $12 for a 5 lb, and about $24 for a 20 lb.

CO2 baffles me. I used to go to a place in Santa Rosa where it was $5 for the service and $1 per lb for the fill. They closed down, and my LHBS wants $21.99 for a 5lb exchange. Thanks to the prevalence of weed around here (woohoo!) there are plenty of hydroponics shops that exchange a 20lb for $20 - but they don't do smaller tanks. So ended up biting the bullet, selling my 5lb and going with two 20s. I do miss the 5lb tank for stuff around the brewery like using it to push beer from the conical, etc.

last time i refilled my 10 it was damn near 50 bucks at airgas. almost had a heart attack. im generally not a squeamish type, but i dont trust sporting goods or other type places to be pure and clean. so its just forking over cash for me when it comes to swaps. (airgas and praxair is all beverage quality around here)

but lately i've been much better about setting up my carboys to fill the kegs with fermentation gas, so i know its pure and it costs nothing. at 50 bucks a refill i guess i've started to care more.

supposedly there's a place in oakland that has better prices, but then its 4-6 bucks for bridge toll, plus gas, etc. so one way or another, its gonna cost you.

once we move into the new house and i get my brew room going i'll have the space for a 20 and cheap(er) swaps at the hydroponics places.

In TX, about 10 years ago, I used to go a welding supply place, off brittmore. 5lb refill was less than $10.

In CO, there's a pot shop near my work that does 20lb tank swaps for $5.
I refill my 15lb tank at a syrup/bar supply business, and it's $13.

TX needs some more pot shops apparently.

The cheapest place I found near me is a welding supply shop. If the manager (a fellow homebrewer) rings me up, it is $12 for a 5lb exchange. If one of his employees rings me up, they add on $8 in California environmental and inspection fees.

Airgas here in NE Atlanta is $32 for a 5lb and $42 for the 20lb exchange but then they did not bat an eye at the 20lb that I swapped that was 38 years past its hydro date and gave me a brand new tank in its place. No one around hear will refill due to liability.

Local welding supply shop does a 5 lb refill for $15 if you have an "account" with them. Most places just do swaps, but I own a brand new aluminum cylinder ($100) and I refuse to swap it. Their hours suck though so it's Saturday mornings or nothing for me.

Ouch! I go to a fire extinguisher service place here in MA. $20 for 20lb. Hydro test in exchange for a 6 pack.

Back