CO2 generation over a week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgriffith

Reaction score
This is my first batch ever where I used a freezer+arduino temp controller for fermentation. I am seeing CO2 generation still after a week. Temp has cycled between 65 and 69 degrees F. In the past, I always just tried to regulate temp using ice packs. I have never seen this before. Usually, after 3 or four days, it drops to a rate I just don't notice. Does a week+ of active fermentation seem normal for a low gravity beer?

I would say most of my beers transition from what I would call "active fermentation" to "just pissing about" in 4 to 5 days. But the latter phase could last another handful of days depending on original gravity and if I've done an early dry hop or not, still occasionally burping up a bubble or three. Just need to be patient :)

Cheers!

10 days in, still seeing CO2 bubble every minute and a half. I think just think that is so unusual. Not worried. Just curious. I want to dry hop, but will wait a few more days I guess.

10 days in, still seeing CO2 bubble every minute and a half. I think just think that is so unusual. Not worried. Just curious. I want to dry hop, but will wait a few more days I guess.

just a thought tossed out, but it could be just degassing dissolved co2? has the yeast flocc'd yet?

edit: and it's not one of the yeast strains i've heard of that are able to digest more comoplex sugars? i forget the name for them...

This is your run of the mill safale us-05 that was harvested from a previous brew. Only thing interesting about it is that I has been dormant in my fridge for a year. For me the big difference in this brew is the use of a temperature controlled fermentation chamber. My purpose of this thread is to see if this is interestingly unusual activity. I am not worried in the least, just curious.

If it is the odd bubble, it could just be pressure changes (basically, the effect of the weather).
Even in a fermentation chamber ;)
You could try take a sample to check. Refractometers are nice for this as you don't need much liquid. Just remember that you need a correction table to get to proper SG in the presence of alcohol

I've had sporadic airlock activity after 10 days, even after the gravity has pretty much settled. Perhaps the year-old harvested yeast is slightly sluggish this go-around. If the gravity is stable, I'd say go ahead and package it. Especially if you're kegging, there's not much risk.

Back