CO2 Flowing Constantly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBB

Grab me another beer please!
Reaction score
So I’m finally bringing my 4 tap kegerator online that I built a couple months ago. I’m working on cleaning the kegs, lines, etc.. Grumble, grumble on the AEB kegs bought new. These are a ***** to get sealed. Anyways, I filled kegs with PBW solution and ran through lines and then filled each keg (4) with warm water to flush. I checked each gas connection with soapy water and also made sure no leaks around lid seals. Yet, when I put my ear up to the knob of the regulator that is supplying the gas, I can hear constant flow, small, but it’s flowing even after 10 minutes of pressurizing. Each keg was filled with only 3 gallons of warm water for flushing. If the system has no leaks, shouldn’t there be a point where gas is going to stop flowing? Or will there always be a small flow of constant CO2 flowing into the kegs?

You're force carbonating the warm water. The water would be absorbing gas until it's carbonated. Not sure that it should be enough flow that you would hear the gas going through. Try it again with empty kegs.

I just emptied the warm water and will turn the gas back on (turned off while I dumped the water). So at that point the gas is going to fill the kegs empty and will stop flowing if everything is sealed up, right?

Did not lube the seals. Is it really necessary? I know it’s a ***** to get them to seal, but they eventually do without lube. I guess I have no problem getting some and using it. But do the soda manufacturers constantly lube their lid seals?

I did order some keg lube, but it seems that ramping up the co2 level to 30 initially did the trick. You could hear a slight pop as the rubber o ring seated.

Back