CO2 bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question. I would imagine that depends on how frugal you are with it. Are you Force Carbonating? Are you pushing beer through a filter or from keg to keg for whatever reason? If you're priming your beer in the keg and only use the co2 for dispensing, I'm sure you can go a long time before refilling.

omniscientomar said:
Good question. I would imagine that depends on how frugal you are with it. Are you Force Carbonating? Are you pushing beer through a filter or from keg to keg for whatever reason? If you're priming your beer in the keg and only use the co2 for dispensing, I'm sure you can go a long time before refilling.
Force carbonating and dispensing only, I just started kegging so I haven't used enough to take an average, I would just like to know how often I should plan on refilling or if I should find an extra cylinder

if you can afford it, always have a spare cylinder. you'll find you always run out of co2 when you need it the most.

also, with co2, check everything for leaks. a 5# cylinder isn't that large, and even a small leak can empty the tank fairly quickly.

Next time you fill up ask your gas dealer if he provides an upgrade option. I went from a 5# to a 10# to a 20# tank just by asking if they had any spares around. All I had to do was pay the additional filling charge. My 20# has lasted me a long time.

Back