CO2 and cold refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redarmy990

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just a quick question that i hope some one can help with.

I have had a cream ale kegged for a week and a half, Have checked the pressure on regulator 3 or 4 times in that time, everything was ok

Kegerator is set to 35 degrees, went to pull a test beer off and no pressure, opened kegerator and tank shows as empty, Pressure on keg had held for the week and a half.

This is a 20lb co2 tank, can the real cold kegerator drop the pressure so much that the tank shows empty, or have i suddenly developed a leak on my system.

Thanks
Dean

You have a leak. The gauge on a refrigerated tank will show less remaining in the tank (it goes back up if you return it to room temp), but it won't drop to zero.

I'm guessing your leak was slow so the regulator showed pressure, but finally it ran out toward the end, and the beer went flat.

Does any one also kno the size of the taprite oring on the nipple that connects to co2 tank, mine looks a little warn, maybe that is what is causing my small leak

Does any one also kno the size of the taprite oring on the nipple that connects to co2 tank, mine looks a little warn, maybe that is what is causing my small leak

That is easy to check, fortunately, if your regulator has a shut-off valve. Pressurize the system, turn off the shutoff, and turn off the tank, and then note the regulator pressure, and see it again in a couple of hours. A change means you have a leave between your tank valve and the regulator output.

Looking for leaks sucks. Take a lot of notes and be systematic about it. Ask me how I know. Better yet, don't, because I don't want to talk about it.

I also make a habit of turning off the shutoffs once everything is carbonated.

Is that tank a swap out? Could be a leaky tank valve.
Always open the tank valve all the way, to compress the valve packing at the top position. Never open just one turn or partially.

Is that tank a swap out? Could be a leaky tank valve.
Always open the tank valve all the way, to compress the valve packing at the top position. Never open just one turn or partially.

Yes its a swap out, Have used it on 2 kegs, then had this 3rd one carbing for over a week and a half.

Even pulled a test pour off on Sunday, everything fine. Went to have a nice glass of homebrew last night and completely empty.

Have the new tank now, just pressurized regulator and turned off

Then if thats fine onto the keg and test, i only had 1 keg hooked up so just 1 line to check.

Back