Co Sour Method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing what was going to be a kettle sour this weekend. However, I've been reading about the co-sour method and wanted to talk to someone about that who has experience with it.

I typically like kettle souring because I have control over the level of sourness. I usually like 3.1-3.2 pH in our kettle sours.

There's really no way to control the sourness in the co-pitch method, correct?
What level of sourness do you guys usually achieve?
To increase sourness, could you pitch the lacto right at day one, let it sit, and then pitch yeast maybe a day later or are you asking for problems doing that?

There may be more questions later but this should get me off on a good start.

...Although...

After reading a bit more on MTF Wiki, I can still have control over the sourness. I can chill the unhopped wort to 90*F, transfer to fermenter and pitch the lacto. Let the lacto work to my preferred sourness and then pitch the yeast.

Are there any downfalls of this method that I'm not seeing?

...Although...

After reading a bit more on MTF Wiki, I can still have control over the sourness. I can chill the unhopped wort to 90*F, transfer to fermenter and pitch the lacto. Let the lacto work to my preferred sourness and then pitch the yeast.

Are there any downfalls of this method that I'm not seeing?
I get the same ph drop With co souring as I do with kettle souring, maybe a point higher. 3.2-3.3. I’ve never personally gotten 3.1 with a typical lacto or ped strain using either Metroid. Use the copitched method used in Sour beer - **************** wiki

I get the same ph drop With co souring as I do with kettle souring, maybe a point higher. 3.2-3.3. I’ve never personally gotten 3.1 with a typical lacto or ped strain using either Metroid. Use the copitched method used in Sour beer - **************** wiki

I've only gotten a 3.1 once with OYL 605. Everything else has been a 3.2 with one 3.5.

So, with pitching lacto at the same time and temp as your yeast, you've gotten 3.2-3.3?

That sufficient for me! I'll be giving this a shot this weekend.

Back