Clumpy/curdled starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobBroad

Reaction score
Hi,

I had a really out if date White Labs English Ale WLP002 (BBD Jun 14 2010), but thought I'd give it a go.

I started it at 2100 on Thurs (10th Nov) into a 3 pint starter at 1.040 (way too large I should have slanted it or made mini starter) and not a lot happened, which wasn't too surprising. However, there was some activity and a thin layer of bubbles formed at the top.

I took a gravity reading last night, 48 hours after pitching and had 1.034, so at least something was happening.

Anyway, this morning at 0830, 60 hours in, it looked like curdled cream in coffee! When I turned the stirrer off it settled almost immediately and swirled up straight away when turned back on again. The reading was 1.017, so progress has been made, and it tasted fine!

image-2466598647.jpg

So bearing I'm mind:

1. Very old yeast
2. Too large starter
3. Possible contamination from sampling (the curdling only happened afterwards)
4. The apparent flocculation rate

Should I brew with this yeast??

I took a video, but can't upload it so photo will have to do. The second photo was taken 10 seconds after turning stirrer off.

All comments welcome.

Thanks

Rob

Attachments

• image-3019467850.jpg
    image-3019467850.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 191
I have only used that yeast once but it did the same thing. It wasn't outdated. I would think that is just a characteristic of this strain. I am sure someone else who has used this yeast more often could confirm this better than me.

Perfectly normal. I almost wonder if they shouldn't put a warning on the package for English Ale strains. "Warning: This yeast will look like cottage cheese. It is perfectly normal. No need to fret!" We sure seem to see a lot of worried posts on this matter.

Hi All,

Many thanks for confirming my lovely yeast is not some mutant form of cottage cheese about to devour my hard won wort and turn it into undrinkable goo.

My partner (ever the practical one) looked up the yeast and found some familiar photos that made us feel better.

Cheers

Rob

Back