Cloudy beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotahlers

oneTbrewer
Reaction score
I recently brewed an ESB and it came out completely cloudy. Hopefully someone can help me figure out why it did not come out with great clarity.
Some background...
I brew all-grain using a 10 gallon round cooler for my Mash/lauter tun and my HLT. I boil in an 8 gallon kettle and ferment in a SSbrewtech brewbucket in a temperature controlled chest freezer.
Recipe (5 gallon):
71% 2-Row
13.3% Crystal 80
8.9% Biscuit
6.7% Munich
1.5 oz Fuggles - 60 min
.5 oz EKG - 60 min
.5 oz Fuggles - 30 min
1 oz EKG - 3 mins
4g of Gypsum to the strike water
2ml of Lactic Acid to sparge water
Single-infusion mash at 151°F for 60 mins - the temp dropped to 149°F during the 60 minutes
Batch sparged with 168°F strike water
60 min boil
Oxygenated with pure O2 for 70 seconds
Pitched a 1.75 L starter of WLP005
Fermented at 66°F for 6 days; after slowly ramped temperature to 70°F to finish out.
Fermented for 10 days.
Cold crashed for three days; fined with gelatin
Then put on CO2.
OG: 1.049
FG: 1.013

I've made this recipe before and it came out crystal clear. The only variable to my last brew is that I had a stuck mash. While trying to clear the false bottom I had to transfer my mash to the HLT cooler and then back. While I was doing this the temperature of the mash dropped to about 136°F for almost 20 minutes. Could this denature some type of protein or something to create this cloudiness?
Please help!
P.S. other than the cloudiness it taste pretty damn good.

My guess is that the drama with the stuck mash (the transferring back and forth more than the temp drop) and maybe the resulting unsettled grain bed might have produced a more hazy wort in the kettle.

Before the mash got stuck (and after the drama) did you recirculate the wort really well to set the grain bed so the kettle filled with clear wort?

If you let the keg sit in at serving temp a few weeks it will probably clear more.

Thanks for the feedback.
I did vorlauf about 2 gallons of wort before running off. Then added sparge water, stirred, then vorlaufed again before running off for the second time.
My hope too is that it will clear with some cold conditioning.

Good to hear. I'll think I'm going to wait a few more days; if it doesn't clear up I'm going to add some more gelatin.

Back