Cloudy beer seems cool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the NE IPA craze is a bit weird. It's just a beer with a ton of hops in it. Everyone freaks out and acts like it's the best thing ever. While it does taste good, IMO, it looks like crap and isn't that hard to reproduce.

It's also the lower bitterness, the types of hops used, and using Chloride instead of Sulfate that make this a nice beer. I consider it a welcome addition to the pack.

I think they can also look pretty great if done well. I like that burnt orange look, which works with a certain amount of cloudiness and the right kind of glassware making it glow. If it looks like a yeast starter then it really needs to taste amazing.

It's also the lower bitterness, the types of hops used, and using Chloride instead of Sulfate that make this a nice beer. I consider it a welcome addition to the pack.

I think they can also look pretty great if done well. I like that burnt orange look, which works with a certain amount of cloudiness and the right kind of glassware making it glow. If it looks like a yeast starter then it really needs to taste amazing.
Yeah, I agree. I think they can be quite beautiful, unlesss you're in the "beer that isn't clear must be crap" school.

I know in my area allot of microbrewery patrons and brewers I know and have spoke to are not keen on additives and adjuncts in their beer. If you were a brewery around here adding gelatin, isinglass, whirlfloc, defoamer and some of the other things just for clarity and ease of process allot of people would not be impressed and would not hesitate to voice their displeasure on the matter. To be honest for the market here haze is a craze but all natural is what people are really after regardless.

To me style guidelines and clarity doesn't matter, its all about flavor!
Some of the best beers I've been drinking lately throw all style guidelines out the window.

All things being equal, I would prefer a clear beer just like I prefer a beer with good head retention. I had a similar experience at a new local brewpub - we got a sampler and all the beers were cloudy except for the Mexican lager.

Back