Closet kegerator conversion.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuadConPana

Reaction score
Kegging is very interesting to me. But a single tap is not. I don't want to have to finish all of one brew before starting another. Also, I like Saisons and Sours. My wife prefers Stouts and Quads. Finding one beer we would both want to drink everyday is a pretty tall order. And, we don't have a good place in the house to put a large kegerator or converted fridge/freezer.

This is a picture of the closet in our "den". I think this room was converted from a bedroom by the previous owner.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAICQ/6xqCOYaF374/s173-p/closet+before.jpg

I would like to use this space for a kegerator, but there are issues.
  • The space is not very deep at all.
  • The door to the lanai to the left of the photo makes it impossible to expand the space very much or to allow anything to stick out much at all.
  • While there are fridges and freezers with small enough depths, their heights and widths make them nearly useless.

This is a (very) rough idea of how I would like things to look.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...AICA/QaCmHII4X5I/w172-h173-p/closet+after.jpg

It seems that the only way to accomplish something like this in this odd size would be to enclose and insulate the space and install components to cool it.

Has anybody seen web resources that would tell me where to buy the refrigeration unit or cannibalize an old refrigerator for the necessary parts? Budget is a huge consideration. I've searched and searched, and found how to use a window ac to make a walk in. (Too big) and how to use computer cooling parts to make a portable fridge (Too small and energy inefficient)

You can find all sizes of fridges on Craigslist. Not sure if you're in the US though.

Back