Combined Fridge/Freezer - can it be used for a kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadrunner

Reaction score
Similar question to this thread: What to do with standard upright fridge/freezer

I have somehow accumulated three fridges in the brew shed - one only has capacity for fermenting with the narrow fermentation buckets (or can take one keg as a kegerator), one is a decent size and will take two kegs but I want to use that to ferment using a Fermzilla all-rounder so don't want to convert to a kegerator. The last one is a Beko Fridge/Freezer combo - the fridge is a great size for a kegerator; would easily take two kegs and have extra space. My question is this. Can a combined fridge/freezer be converted to a kegerator so the top part (fridge) holds the kegs and the bottom part (freezer) stays as it is and works as a freezer?

I've searched forums etc. and not been able to find a definitive answer. Apologies if this has been covered previously.

Ideally what I'd like to do is control the fridge temperature with either an Ink-bird or STC1000 unit but leave the freezer alone.

I've attached photos of the model I have.

Attachments

• FridgeFreezer01.jpg
    FridgeFreezer01.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 18
  • FridgeFreezer02.jpg
    FridgeFreezer02.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 17
If the size works for you then yes it would work just fine. As far as controlling the temp of the fridge it depends on how it is controlled from the factory.

I have a fermentation fridge that I use like this(sometimes a serving fridge too). The freezer is always cold and I used an STC1000 to control the damper that allows cool air into the fridge section. Works great in my situation!

Thank you - appreciate the reply. I'll have another google and see what I can work out :)

Have you measured the temps in each compartment? It might be OK as is.

My top-freezer fridge does fine with the original thermostat. I bought an inkbird for it, but haven't installed it yet because the freezer stays at around 10F (for my yeast and hops) with the kegs at 33-36F.

I do have to tweak the thermostat with the seasons. So I'll install the Inkbird someday.

Interesting. I've had a couple of thermometers monitoring the fridge temperature today and - even on the "minimum" setting - the temp in the fridge is 35F - which I assumed is way too low for kegs. Maybe I just rig up the ink-bird to a slightly higher temperature and leave it as it is. Cheers!

Interesting. I've had a couple of thermometers monitoring the fridge temperature today and - even on the "minimum" setting - the temp in the fridge is 35F - which I assumed is way too low for kegs. Maybe I just rig up the ink-bird to a slightly higher temperature and leave it as it is. Cheers!
And when I say "minimum" I mean the setting at which the thermostat is at it's highest point - i.e. the warmest temperature it will go.

I've got a 22 cuft unit for keg serving with freezer on top. Holds 5 cornies with door holding glasses and yeast in the butter case. The freezer is all about hops, lots of hops. Like others, I tested with thermometer in the frig section, about 38f mid point so I call it ok at the higher side. I'm pleased with results. I don't use an auxiliary controller.

I've got a 22 cuft unit for keg serving with freezer on top. Holds 5 cornies with door holding glasses and yeast in the butter case. The freezer is all about hops, lots of hops. Like others, I tested with thermometer in the frig section, about 38f mid point so I call it ok at the higher side. I'm pleased with results. I don't use an auxiliary controller.
Wow. That sounds some setup! Nice one.

I managed to luck out today and got a (to my mind at least) pretty decent new unit on Gumtree - plenty of room for a couple of kegs and some shelves for bottles/yeast etc.

Thanks for all the replies guys - good to know there's help/advice when unsure.

Attachments

• FR01.jpg
    FR01.jpg
    628.7 KB · Views: 9
  • FR02.jpg
    FR02.jpg
    691.3 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back