closed transfer took 45 minutes!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walker111

Reaction score
Use fermonsters with posts on the lids for transfers into kegs. Use a gas disconnect off the keg into a bucket of starsan to watch the bubbles and the inflow of beer. Usually I can transfer 5 g over in 15-20 min . Not yesterday. I try only 8 psi as these are plastic fermenters ( fermonster 7 g) and I love them for low oxidation. I took black post of the fermentor lid to clean out and even swapped to another . No difference. Tried another grey gas disconnect into the beer. No difference. Viewing the floating diptube in the beer the tube looked clear and the beer sure was as it sat for 37 days!!!!!
Tried to push co2 in through the beer post by changing to a black disconnect to blow out anything that could be clogged and did not see anything. Not a bubble?
Lots of co2 in tank. Did not want pressure to exceed 15 with the plastic.
Got the beer transfered but 45 minutes later???????

Any ideas what went wrong?

My transfers usually take 2-3 minutes with no foaming issues.

I pressurize both the fermenter and the keg to exactly the same pressure (doesn't really matter what pressure). I then set the fermenter higher up on a countertop and the keg on the floor on a scale to take advantage of gravity. I attach the CO2 tank to the fermenter, a line from the fermenter to the keg and then I use a small hose from the keg into a Star San container with a small plastic valve (almost like a makeshift spunding valve without the pressure gauge).

I then open the spunding type valve slightly till the Star San bottle just starts to bubble to create a pressure difference to the keg. The smaller the pressure difference between vessels, the less foaming during the transfer. I then monitor the weight of the keg with the scale and stop the transfer when my keg weight is correct for a full keg which keeps beer out of the spunding type valve.

Will clean all my connections well again and keep an eye on it for next time . The small tube floating must have some gunk in it that I could not see. was not opening the top to look and ruin the transfer .

So the keg you were transferring into was full of starsan and you pushed beer from fermenter into keg under pressure? if that's the case I think you were trying to push a lot of fluid with too little pressure!!!! Next time try purging the full keg of starsan with just CO2 till empty then leave about 5-10psi in it till you are ready to transfer. Purge pressure off in keg and connect all the lines and you will only be pushing 5-6 gals of fluid instead of both full vessels totaling 10-12 gals ;)

Were there a lot of hops used? Perhaps even from a previous batch? I ask because hop debris (or any debris, for that matter) can stick to the poppet spring inside the keg connectors.

I've had this issue with irresponsibly hopped IPAs but never any other style. That said, if you did this transfer method recently with a highly hopped beer, even if you cleaned the keg and connectors very well, it is conceivable there is still some debris clinging to those springs. Tracer hit this one on the head.

Quick check - take the poppets out of the keg and line connectors and inspect the springs.

The smaller the pressure difference between vessels, the less foaming during the transfer.

Are you actually seeing foam in the transfer tubing or something?

So the keg you were transferring into was full of starsan and you pushed beer from fermenter into keg under pressure? if that's the case I think you were trying to push a lot of fluid with too little pressure!!!! Next time try purging the full keg of starsan with just CO2 till empty then leave about 5-10psi in it till you are ready to transfer. Purge pressure off in keg and connect all the lines and you will only be pushing 5-6 gals of fluid instead of both full vessels totaling 10-12 gals ;)

No the keg was purged and empty.

Are you actually seeing foam in the transfer tubing or something?

I clean everything well but the poppet must be the culprit. It was a centennial blonde ale and I did add some dry hops but nothing heavy,
I did not see foam in the clear tubing.

Back