Closed fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyhowe

Reaction score
By mistake I fermented in a closed keg. Usually I use a spunding valve. Damn! A lot of pressure, a reasonable mess on release, and it appears to have shut down fermentation. Interesting none the less.

OG/FG? Ester profile?
Funny this was kind of a franken beer I threw together. Didn’t check OG. Likely 60. Went to dry hop when messy situation got me to taste the beer and notice the sweetness. Quick look at a hydrometer and it popped quickly to maybe 30. Didn’t really pay more attention other than confirming my palette. No esters. Will ferment another week at low pressure.

Closing the loop, reduced the pressure and the yeast finished up quickly. Yummy beer in the works....

By mistake I fermented in a closed keg. Usually I use a spunding valve. Damn! A lot of pressure, a reasonable mess on release, and it appears to have shut down fermentation. Interesting none the less.

It probably didn't shut down fermentation, it was just that the active part of fermentation where the CO2 is produced was over.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

It’ll probably be the best beer in the universe. And you’ll never be able to reproduce it. Dang! You could have been the king.

Back