Cloning Tree House Eureka w/ whatever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those looking to make a true Eureka (any Tree House) clone, it should be noted that Tree House claims to use no wheat in their pale beers and "no flaked anything."

For those looking to make a true Eureka (any Tree House) clone, it should be noted that Tree House claims to use no wheat in their pale beers and "no flaked anything."

I heard differently, at least about the flaked part. Nate has said they use flaked oats in some of their ipas. If you look at C1 in their archived beers they mention the use of flaked oats there, for example.

Doesn't appear to be a component in current beers:

https://twitter.com/treehousenate/status/730392938912452609

"no flaked anything..."

That's good info but it certainly doesn't mean he's not using Fawcett malted oats or Golden Naked Oats. I posted an article in this sub (post #30) from Paste magazine where he talks about Eureka having a wheaty, biscuity finish so I'm assuming their must be some malted wheat in it.

That's good info but it certainly doesn't mean he's not using Fawcett malted oats or Golden Naked Oats. I posted an article in this sub (post #30) from Paste magazine where he talks about Eureka having a wheaty, biscuity finish so I'm assuming their must be some malted wheat in it.

He does say on Twitter that "most do not" have oats (whatever that form may be) and that only one beer had wheat in it (not Eureka).

I have 6 gallons of my take on this dry-hopping currently.

8lbs 2-row
8oz carapils
8oz vienna
8oz flaked wheat
4oz crystal 20L
153F for 80min

.25 ahtanum @ 30m
.4oz loral @ 20
.4oz loral @ 10
.4oz loral @ 5
.8oz loral @ 0
1oz loral @ 175 (whirlpool for 30 min)
dry hopped with 3oz loral and .75oz ahtanum (50/50 day 4 and day 6 of fermentation)

Yeast- Wyeast 1318 @68 raised to 70*F

I'm getting a crazy pineapple-y, wheat-y, saison-y aroma and it smells fantastic. Aroma is nothing like Eureka though :(. much more "belgian-y" at the moment and smells a lot like Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat.

Can't wait to crash, keg, carb, and tap this sucker. - I shall report back.

Kegged and force carbed 5.75 gallons of this yesterday. Was surprised at how little beer I lost to trub and the dry hopping. I would have thought that ~4 ounces of hops would have sucked up much more.

That being said ,this beer is GOOD. I've never tried Loral hops before and this is a perfect display of its flowery, citrusy, soapy flavor/aroma. The "saison-y" and "belgian-y" aromas are completely gone and the bitterness is on point. It is actually somewhat reminiscent of Eureka.

I do agree with previous posters in that there isn't any wheat in Eureka, but I think it adds a touch more complexity. That being said, next time I'm going to half the amount of wheat as its a bit too much, and maybe split the 2-row and vienna 50/50. Also, I think mashing at 155-157 would benefit this beer more so than a lower mash temp.

Gave this a shot a few weeks ago and it came out so well I just submitted it for a homebrew comp where the winner gets to brew their recipe at a local brewery and its put on tap at local bars.

Batch Size: 5.75 gal
OG: 1.045
FG: 1.011
IBUs: 34
SRM: 4.1
ABV: 4.4%

Malt Bill:
6lbs golden promise
3lbs Vienna Malt
8oz flaked oats
4oz C20
4oz Carapils

Hops:
5ml Hopshot @ 20mins
1oz Citra @ 5mins
2oz Citra for 20min Whirlpool
Dry Hop with 4oz Citra at high krausen around day 3. Then keg at day 12.

Mash @ 156 for 60mins
Mash Ph 5.3

Wyeast 1318 London Ale III @ 64degrees for first few days and then let rise 1 degree a day until 68-69 and hold until time to keg.

Water Profile (in ppm's):
102.2 Calcium
8 Magnesium
38 Sodium
156.5 Sulfate
86.8 Chloride
(This is my typical target water profile for my beers that helps with a soft mouth, but still lets the hop bite come through)

Citra on the nose and the palate throughout. Soft mouth with a good body for such a low abv beer.
Extremely crushable and perfect for the summer heat.

BlondeAle.jpg

I am wildly impressed with everything that comes out of Tree House Brewing, but Eureka stood out for me because of its super low abv (3.9%), full bodied mouth feel and a ton of flavors. It's exceptionally well balanced and makes for a great summer beer. I brewed this with Azacca hops but feel free to switch it out for whatever floats your boat.

Batch size: 5.5 gallons
OG: 1.041
IBUs: 25.8
SRM: 3.3
ABV: 3.9%

Malt Bill:
8lbs golden promise
8oz flaked oats
4oz carapils
4oz C20

Hops
4.12 AAUs added @ 20, 15, 10, 5
16.37 AAUs added at flameout for 5 mins before chilling
3oz dry hop in primary when yeast at 90% attenuation. 4-5 days before crashing

US-05 yeast

Mash temp: 153 for 60 minutes
Mash pH: 5.42
Finished pH of beer: 4.35

Ferment cool, around 62 degrees, and slow rise to 67 as you reach full attenuation.

Finished water profile (in ppm's):
55.8 Calcium
9 Magnesium
23 Sodium
12 Sulfate
88 Chloride

The beer on the right is mine, compared to the Tree House Eureka w/ Citra on the left.

Tasting notes:
the hop schedule did a great job layering the flavors and really highlighting the one hop. the mouth feel is light but a little smooth from the addition of the oats. At 3.9% I could drink this like water. It's borderline blonde/pale ale in my opinion.

Next time I think I would try Wyeast 1318, bumping the finished chloride to 100, and aiming for a finished pH of 4.5 (based on pH tests I've done on Julius and Haze.)
hi ryan
i'm going to try this recipe
never tried tree house since i'm from Europe but can't wait to brew it.
are you still using the same recipe?
thank you

hi ryan
i'm going to try this recipe
never tried tree house since i'm from Europe but can't wait to brew it.
are you still using the same recipe?
thank you

Hey medixlux - only change I made was the yeast is 1318. everything else I wouldn't change!

Almost spring time, wondering if anyone has been brewing this? Might be a good way to break my brewing dry spell. Just gotta figure out what hops I want to use.

Gave this a shot a few weeks ago and it came out so well I just submitted it for a homebrew comp where the winner gets to brew their recipe at a local brewery and its put on tap at local bars.

Batch Size: 5.75 gal
OG: 1.045
IBUs: 34
SRM: 4.1
ABV: 4.4%

Malt Bill:
6lbs golden promise
3lbs Vienna Malt
8oz flaked oats
4oz C20
4oz Carapils

Hops:
5ml Hopshot @ 20mins
1oz Citra @ 5mins
2oz Citra for 20min Whirlpool
Dry Hop with 4oz Citra at high krausen around day 3. Then keg at day 12.

Mash @ 156 for 60mins
Mash Ph 5.3

Wyeast 1318 London Ale III @ 64degrees for first few days and then let rise 1 degree a day until 68-69 and hold until time to keg.

Water Profile (in ppm's):
102.2 Calcium
8 Magnesium
38 Sodium
156.5 Sulfate
86.8 Chloride
(This is my typical target water profile for my beers that helps with a soft mouth, but still lets the hop bite come through)

Citra on the nose and the palate throughout. Soft mouth with a good body for such a low abv beer.
Extremely crushable and perfect for the summer heat.

View attachment 407577
How did this end up doing in the competition? Brewed this recipe yesterday with a few changes. No boil hops, 4oz in WP. London Fog yeast and my typical water profile. Excited to try this.

Comp was only best in show and it didn't win, but it did get a 42 out of 50 score!
I will definitely brew this one again.

Crushed a can of Eureka with Citra last night and new immediately that I need to clone it. During my research I found this on Beer Advocate for an older version of Eureka.

“Blonde Ale brewed entirely with Nelson Sauvin hops, a New Zealand varietal that melds beautifully with a simple bill of pale malts. This is a true "session beer" and one that does not make any compromises. It has a delicate bouquet of passionfruit and a slight lemon flavor that will surely quench your thirst“

Note that it says “simple bill of Pale malts”. it’s a light beer at about 4% so using any flaked wheat or oats will make it too light. It also infers that it’s more then one Pale Malt.

I think I would try a combination of Pilsner ( maybe Bohemian Pilsner malt? ) and Pale/Golden Promise, which should get a nice, light colour, just around 4-5 SRM.

I think I would try a combination of Pilsner ( maybe Bohemian Pilsner malt? ) and Pale/Golden Promise, which should get a nice, light colour, just around 4-5 SRM.
When I visited the brewery they had huge sacks of Weyermann malt.

Weyermann do make nice Pilsner malts, along with a darker Pale Ale malt, which I've used many times.

I’m thinking of using Weyermann pale ale malt, Carafoam, and Citra hops. Pretty much a smash recipe.

Latest posts

Back