Cloning "Grains of Paradise".

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kauai_Kahuna

Reaction score
OK, so I'm all set to do an All Grain (my forth) - Chimay Grande Reserve Clone.
Got everything I need except for "Grains of Paradise". Can not get it anywhere locally and I still have not got the patience part down, and the brewing schedule is sacred and can not be violated.

"I Need" a quick substitute for this, something that I most likely can not find anyway at the local store but : I'm thinking some ground:

"ginger, black pepper, and lemon rinds".
What is "coriander" ?? :confused:

This is based on what little I can find online on what it imparts to the recipe. I have never used it and could use "A LOT" of help here, I really do not want to mess this up. I am really pushing my skill level and have very high hopes for this, I just love the real Chimay's but by the time I get them here they are usually heat toasted..
Any advice and hints will be great. Thanks to all in advance. :tank:

Coriander a spice. When you use the leaves, its called Cilantro, when you use the seeds its called Coriander. You can get some at the grocery store.

"I" don't "think" that 1/8 tsp of "Grains of Paradise" really "gives" Chimay Blue that much "spice".

"Don't" use ginger for this beer by any means. I think "you" could get "similar" results if you used 1/8oz "coriander" and 1/8oz "black" pepper. With this big beer it's "better" to err on the "low" side than the high "side", because too much "spice" will ruin the batch, whereas not "enough" will still leave you with good "beer", all other things being "equal".

:mug:

I haven't tried it but I have read of folks using the mixed peppercorns (you know..white, black, pink & green) w/ some coriander for a substitute.

Latest posts

Back