Clone recipe request: Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andysk

Reaction score
I'm new here, so please let me know if I posted in the wrong place or violated protocol!

I've been loving this new refreshing citrusy IPA from Deschutes and would love to brew a clone, but I've never formulated a clone recipe so I'd love some ideas. Here is the best information I've been able to find on it:

FRESH SQUEEZED IPA

When: May to September

What: Bond Street Series (22-ounce bottles and draft)
Like all of our Bond Street Series, this brew was formerly a pub-exclusive in our Bend and Portland locations. Our visitors loved this experimental brew so much, that we decided to bottle up its fresh-squeezed goodness for all to share. This Citra hop IPA is a “citrus bomb” in every way – flavor, aroma, you name it. Three types of malt, one type of bittering hop and a whole lot of Citra hops create a delicious offering.

Where: Available everywhere Deschutes is sold

Beer Geek Information: 6.5% Alcohol by Volume (ABV) | 60 International Bittering Units (IBUs) Malt: Pale, Crystal 60, Munich Hops: Nugget, Citra, Mosaic

Elsewhere it is mentioned that the Nugget is the one bittering hop which is no surprise.

Just found the following recipe which looks to be targeting this "fresh squeezed" - the name was apparently used by homebrewers before deschutes so some by the name are quite different. Any critiques on this one?:

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/213220/fresh-squeezed

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Absolutely love this beer so i am going to work on this. Let me know how others attempts work out.

This is going to be my next batch and was curious as to how it turned out. What was the exact recipe used? I'm going to shoot for this if it looks kosher:
Title: All American Stout
Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.057
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)
STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.068
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 6.65%
IBU (tinseth): 44.38
SRM (morey): 40
FERMENTABLES:
9.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (67.9%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 90L (7.1%)
1 lb - American - Roasted Barley (7.1%)
1 lb - Flaked Oats (7.1%)
0.75 lb - American - Chocolate (5.4%)
0.5 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (3.6%)
0.25 lb - American - Black Malt (1.8%)
HOPS:
0.75 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 16.3, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 39.59
0.25 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 16.3, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 4.79
YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale 1056
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Med-Low
Optimum Temp: 60 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Wrong thread ? This is for Fresh Squeezed IPA.

Would This be an acceptable tasty brew?:

Title: Fresh Squeezed IPA
Style Name: American IPA
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.048
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 6.02%
IBU (tinseth): 67.85
SRM (morey): 12.24

FERMENTABLES:
11 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (83.8%)
1 lb - American - Munich - 60L (7.6%)
10 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (4.8%)
0.5 lb - American - Wheat (3.8%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 22.86
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 11.72
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 25.56
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 7.71

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale 1056
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid

I would move the 20 minute additions to 15 min or less. I think you'll need more then 2 ounces of flavorhops too, but that's just me. Grain bill looks good.

Herky21 said:
I would move the 20 minute additions to 15 min or less. I think you'll need more then 2 ounces of flavorhops too, but that's just me. Grain bill looks good.

I agree on both counts -- maybe move those to 15 and 10, and also hit it with a decent flameout addition (at least 2 oz), and a 2 oz dry hop.

OK, so the hop additions have been bumped, not to 2 oz but more than the original:
HOPS:
0.5 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 22.08
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 18.54
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 20.22
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

Question?: Is 1/2 oz. Nugget for primary bittering enough? Will that have a good balance for the Citra and Mosaic to stand up to?

OK, so the hop additions have been bumped, not to 2 oz but more than the original:
HOPS:
0.5 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 22.08
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 18.54
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 20.22
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

Question?: Is 1/2 oz. Nugget for primary bittering enough? Will that have a good balance for the Citra and Mosaic to stand up to?

Yeah its plenty. Some Brewers only do 3 or 4 ibus for the early addition and get great beers. I forgot to mention that id use a lower srm munich, maybe 10L.

I was planning on this right after my Hazelnut nectar clone. Love the beer and called Deshcutes about the hop additions and you're pretty much spot on. Always thought the fresh squeezed meant fresh hopped since it was only a seasonal, but they told me it was in reference to the freshsqueezed fruit flavor. Strange but I def prefer it to the fresh hopped Amarillo exclusive Chasin Freshies (which was alright but I must gravitate to citra, and mosaic over amarillo) I even pre-ordered 3 lbs of each citra and mosaic + a lb of nugget just to prep for repeat brewing! Was planning on WLP 002, but would appreciate any suggestions, Cheers!

I was planning on this right after my Hazelnut nectar clone. Love the beer and called Deshcutes about the hop additions and you're pretty much spot on. Always thought the fresh squeezed meant fresh hopped since it was only a seasonal, but they told me it was in reference to the freshsqueezed fruit flavor. Strange but I def prefer it to the fresh hopped Amarillo exclusive Chasin Freshies (which was alright but I must gravitate to citra, and mosaic over amarillo) I even pre-ordered 3 lbs of each citra and mosaic + a lb of nugget just to prep for repeat brewing! Was planning on WLP 002, but would appreciate any suggestions, Cheers!

Since you'll have a good amount of hops, I'd recommend using more like 8 oz. Total with more late additions and more dry hops. I don't think the recipe here has quite enough. It's an American ipa. It needs more flavor and aroma than this recipe will deliver.

Thought I'd bump this thread. I love this beer and have been making something v similar except using 1.25oz Chinook as FWH but otherwise hop schedule similar (I've got 5 gallons bubbling away now). Think I'll try out one of your suggestions, I've got loads of citra and Mosaic just need some nugget. I also think that 1/2 oz nugget might'nt be enuf for bittering.

Tried the fresh-squeeze IPA for the first time this past week, and I immediately knew that I had to find a clone of this recipe. It's incredible.

Anyway, I'm just bumping this thread to keep it alive and also to suggest anybody who's brewed this to submit pics (I'm also curious about the use of crystal 60L).

This is my recipe and it's pretty daggone close. You can cut it in half for 5 gallons:

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Style Name: American IPA
Batch Size: 11 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 12.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.058
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.066
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV (standard): 6.24%
IBU (tinseth): 61.52
SRM (morey): 9.01

FERMENTABLES:
22 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (83%)
2 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (7.5%)
1.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.7%)
1 lb - American - Wheat (3.8%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.3, Use: FWH IBU: 21.36
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 19.92
2 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 20.24
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 0 min
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 59 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
152* mash
1 Hour boil.

Sounds like a good recipe. The Fresh Squeezed bottle mentions a touch of honey malt. It might be a good ideal to add a small amount to give that lingering sweetness.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

plankbr... your recipe looks good! Have you done a side by side comparison?

te-wa... let us know how she tastes, keep us posted.

Redbeard5289

will do. for starters, i added a full oz of nugget at FW. cooled to 70 w/ immersion coil, ran out of ice, pitched s-05 and brought it down to 67.
local weather here is in high 70's, i have 3 brews in differing stages of development, all will be ready in a month or so.. life is GOOD!

thanks for posting the recipe. sounds and looks like a WIN. ;)

plankbr... your recipe looks good! Have you done a side by side comparison?

te-wa... let us know how she tastes, keep us posted.

Redbeard5289

I haven't done a side-by-side since it's not available in Cincinnati. Just as close as I can remember from being at their brewpub in Portland.

I'm very interested in this one as well. Dying to hear some feedback on the most recent brew when it's done.

quick update: brewed 14 days ago, just racked to keg on an ounce of citra. i'll dry hop for 5 days, then cold crash on gas.

1.065 - 1.012 (7% abv)
its got some great chewy oranges going on. the citra leaf should make this thing scream.
she gonna be good!

Nice man. Looking forward to a comparison in a couple weeks.

Sent from my spaceship in low orbit.

Sounds like a good recipe. The Fresh Squeezed bottle mentions a touch of honey malt. It might be a good ideal to add a small amount to give that lingering sweetness.

:confused: I don't see this anywhere on the bottle. The "homebrew recipe" on their site just lists pale, C-75, and Munich.

Are you guys all using chico yeast? This seems to be about the only one of their brews where they list American ale, so they must not be using their house strain which I understand is close to wyeast's Ringwood. I still seem to taste some fruity esters though in the Fresh Squeezed. Maybe WL051/1272?

:confused: I don't see this anywhere on the bottle. The "homebrew recipe" on their site just lists pale, C-75, and Munich.

Are you guys all using chico yeast? This seems to be about the only one of their brews where they list American ale, so they must not be using their house strain which I understand is close to wyeast's Ringwood. I still seem to taste some fruity esters though in the Fresh Squeezed. Maybe WL051/1272?

I agree that I've never seen mention of any honey malt in their recipe.

Not sure on the yeast strain though.

This is from their website:
http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/recipe/fresh-squeezed-ipa

Fresh Squeezed IPA
Bursting with Citra and Mosaic Hops!
Fresh Squeezed IPA
Specifics
Recipe type: All grain
Batch size: 5 U.S. gallons
Original gravity: 1.065-1.075
Final gravity: 1.015-1.025
Boil time: 90 minutes
Fermentation temp: 65° F
Yeast type: American Ale
Malt

Pale
Crystal - 75
Munich

Hops

Citra
Mosaic
Nugget

**Note: Temps, times and weights are the challenge. Happy Brewing!

Awesome, that's a start at least. Doesn't seem like Chico is a bad choice either.

10172632_865553596803497_2544209911428583387_n.jpg

color is way off. this may be from use of caramel 60 when deschutes' claims to use 75.
mine has a definite lingering bitterness (may be the 1oz of nugget fwh)

fresh squeezed does have a mild sweetness, although i mashed at 152, so i dunno. it's not a clone, but it's dang tasty regardless.

the deschutes still has a tangy, almost "green tea" aftertaste. im not sure what that is.

mine has a chill haze, but you get the idea from the pic. i wonder, would an equal mix of 60 and 90 crystal get that reddish tint?

here's a shot of it nice and clear. i used no finings, or cold crash. just let it warm a bit.
10264953_867293323296191_601152923975710948_n.jpg

Sorry if I missed it, did you use the 05? Had another one of the commercial versions the other day, I still feel like they're using something else that's a little fruitier.

s-05, yes. only because i didnt make the time to form a starter.

*edit

i salvaged the yeast cake and made a starter for my next batch. i think, for the first time, i'll do the same recipe 2x in a row. it's pretty solid.

This will now be the house IPA. Everyone raves about it.
Fresh_Squueezed_IPA.JPG

I don't think I would change a thing other than subbing the c60 for c75.

This will now be the house IPA. Everyone raves about it.

I don't think I would change a thing other than subbing the c60 for c75.

Looks great, plankbr.

Quick question: why the half pound of wheat?

ok. so i had a buddy who has been brewing for 15 years, and loves ipa. he had a s.n. torpedo, a n.b. ranger, and a s.n. hoptimum, just to taste some old regulars.
he drank this (my clone) beer and said after trying the others, he wished he had more of mine. trouble is, i wish i had more of mine. keg is blown!
that was quick.

I tried Fresh Squeezed for the first time a few weeks ago and it was instantly my favorite IPA and I new right away I had to try and clone it eventually. Glad I found this thread. Using the AG recipe plankbr posted already, I took a shot at converting it to a 5.5 gallon partial mash (don't have the capacity to do 5 gallons of AG yet). Here's what I've got:

5.5 lbs Pale 2-row
0.75 lb Munich 10L
0.5 lb Crystal 75L

5 lbs Light DME (half of which is added at 60 min and the rest a late addition @ 15 min to get the IBUs right)

1 oz Nugget @ 60
1 oz Citra @ 15
1 oz Mosaic @ 15
1 oz Citra @ 0
1 oz Citra - dry hop

Wyeast 1056 (or WLP001)

My numbers from Brewer's Friend were:

OG - 1.065
FG - 1.016
ABV - 6.39%
IBU - 60.43
SRM - 9.15

Seems that some suppliers don't have Crystal 75L. Would it be better to go down (60L) or up (80L), or does it really matter all that much?

I took the wheat out since Deschutes doesn't list it on their grain bill and replaced it with a little bit extra Munich to get back up to the target OG. Although, I've got some flaked wheat on hand that I could throw in for head retention.

Any other thoughts/suggestions? I'm relatively new to this (this will be my third partial mash after several extracts), so any advice is more than welcome.

That sounds like a solid plan to me. I'm very much looking forward to brewing this recipe myself (the AG one). Just bought a case of fresh squeezed two weeks ago and only have a 6 pack left.

I would go with caramel 60 if you have to round one way or the other because the DME will add a decent amount of color in itself.

If you want the head retention booster, you could always do carafoam/carapils. Flaked wheat works fine too (as long as you don't have friends that are allergic).

Back