Clone for Anchor Brewing Co-Liberty Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liberty Ale Clone:

8 lbs LME
1/2 lb 40L Crystal
1/2 lb Munich Malt
1/2 lb Cara Pils Malt
1/2 oz Fuggles Hops -pellet (bittering)
4 oz Cascade Hops -leaf
California Ale Yeast WLP001

steep grain at 150 degrees for 30 minutes
at start of boil add Fuggles and 1 oz of Cascade

dry hop 2 oz of Cascade hops
(recipe calls to add 3 oz of Cascade, we only did 2)

OG: 1.057
FG: 1.011

This has been in the bottles for almost two weeks and from the taste of this one I guess I got a new hobbie :D

This is my third batch and it's still just a little to sweet for my taste.
It needs to be just a bit more bitter and I think I'll do the all 3oz on the dry hop next time. It only set in the secondary for one week two or more would have been better.
I really happy with this beer cause it proves to me that great beer can be made at home. It's not quite Liberty Ale, but it's a good starting place and now I know that I can get it closer if not better than Liberty Ale :D

This one is from Beer Captured:

10 oz 20L Crystal Malt
8 lb Pale Extract
1.5 oz Northern brewer @ 7.4% aa - bittering
1/2 oz northern Brewer - 15 min
1/2 oz. Cascade - 15 min
1/2 oz Northern Brewer - 1 min
1/2 oz Cascade - 1 min.

American/California ale yeast (the Sierra Nevada one)

I haven't tried it. I like the idea of dry hopping it as suggested in the recipe above. Cheers! :D

the recipe sounds good and i'll dump it atop my irish ale yeast this weekend, but i need da breakdown for just grain.

just eight pounds of regular pale malt (grain) then janx? or would you want like ten or twelve pounds?

t1master said:
the recipe sounds good and i'll dump it atop my irish ale yeast this weekend, but i need da breakdown for just grain.

just eight pounds of regular pale malt (grain) then janx? or would you want like ten or twelve pounds?
Beer Captured suggests 11 lb 2 row !!

11 lbs will just about tip the scales over the full mark for my ghetto mash tun.... :D i might go 8 lbs and drop some dme in there.... ;)

The refcipe I posted was the extract version from Beer Captured...sorry I thought that was the one you wanted. So, that's 8 pounds of extract, not 2-row. As BitterRat says, it's 11 lbs of 2-row in the AG version.

The recipe I posted was the extract version from Beer Captured...sorry I thought that was the one you wanted. So, that's 8 pounds of extract, not 2-row. As BitterRat says, it's 11 lbs of 2-row in the AG version.

Speaking of different versions of the same recipe -- does anyone have the partial mash version of this (from Beer Captured) handy? I was thinking of stopping by my local for ingredients on the way home.

IIRC, it called for 4 lbs of Alexanders LME, but I don't remember any of the details after that. Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,
-monty

jeffbones said:
Liberty Ale Clone:

8 lbs LME
1/2 lb 40L Crystal
1/2 lb Munich Malt
1/2 lb Cara Pils Malt
1/2 oz Fuggles Hops -pellet (bittering)
4 oz Cascade Hops -leaf
California Ale Yeast

This is my third batch and it's still just a little to sweet for my taste.
It needs to be just a bit more bitter and I think I'll do the all 3oz on the dry

more dry hop wont get you bitterness, you need more bittering hops. Get rid of the fuggles and use 1 or 2 ounces of n. brewer for 60 min. 1/2 ounce cacade 30 min. 1/2 ounce csacade 10 min. 1 ounce cascade 0 min. and dry hop with 1 ounce perle and 1 ounce cacade

Back