Clone Attempt #1: Scrimshaw Inspired

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaredHessler

Reaction score

Feel free to throw out feedback based on what you see, this was my first attempt at brewing all grain/partial mash.

After brewing my first extract kit I was hooked. I picked up a home made mash tun off craigslist and started recipe searching. My girlfriend and I really enjoy Scrimshaw so I was looking for a clone but added my own twists. :D

Recipe:
  • Lallemand BRY-97 American West Coast Ale yeast
  • 8 lbs Avangard Pilsen Malt
  • 2 lbs Briess Vienna Malt
  • 1 can (3.3lbs) Muntons Extra Light LME
  • 1oz US Tettnang Hops (Pellets, A: 4.6%, B: 3.0%)
  • 1oz US Liberty Hops (Pellets, A: 4.5%, B: 3.5%)
  • 1oz German Hallertau Hops (Pellets, A:4.1%, B: 4.9%)

Cook Schedule:
  • Prep yeast starter using 2 cups water, 1/2 cup Briess CBW Pilsen Light DME. Boil water, add DME, boil for 10 minutes stirring constantly. Cool in ice bath to approx. 80F. Pitch yeast and aerate. (Note: I used yeast harvested from a previous brew) Fermentation was visible within 30 minutes and was allowed to continue until pitching into batch wort 6.5 hours later.
  • Heated 4.5gal water to ~180F
  • Mash 10lbs of grain @ ~155F for ~70 minutes
  • Collected ~3gal
  • Sparged with 2gal of water heated to ~180F, collected an additional 1.5gal
  • Boiled 4.5gal for 60 minutes
  • Added Tettnang @ 60 minutes
  • Added Liberty and LME @ 30 minutes
  • Added Hallertau @ 10 minutes
  • Cooled in ice bath to ~78F
  • Transferred to primary and aerated vigorously (shaking and stirring)
  • Pitched yeast starter
  • Added water up to 5gal
  • OG Reading: 1.070 (adjusted for temperature)
  • Fermentation visible in airlock within 12 hours
  • Stored @ 64F - 68F

I am planning on keeping this batch in the primary for 4-5 days, or until fermentation is nearly finished. Then I am going to swap to secondary for 2 weeks, then bottle condition for another 2 weeks.

Known Opportunities for Improvements:
  • I don't have lagering equipment
  • I chose not to use Pilsner yeast (wanted to try my harvested yeast and the store did not have any Pilsner yeasts) :drunk:
  • The store also did not have Munich malt that I could find/see so I substituted Vienna
  • I need a larger pot. I only have a pot that measures 4 gallons, I pushed it to 4.5 for the boil but could not go higher to avoid boil over. My dad loaned me a 6 gallon aluminum pot used for turkey frying but cleaning it resulted in me being disgusted with the level of oxidation, I did not want that going in the brew.
  • I need a wort chiller BADLY! I am looking to buy vs making a DIY version
  • OG may have been higher due to late water addition up to 5gal and/or pitching yeast (perhaps the LME was unnecessary?). :confused:

I'll be using this thread to keep my own notes on the process and hopefully there will be some feedback. Until next time, happy brewing!

Back