Clearing up my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertlizardking

Reaction score
Every beer I do comes out cloudy. I use the whirfloc tabs or Irish Moss. I have gotten no results. The beers taste great, but I would like to make them look a little nicer.

Nope I haven't tried that. What do you consider good racking? I have a feeling that could be part of my problem. I keep in the closet under the stairs. So it's the Harry beer closet.

Different finings work different ways. Cold crashing will work for yeast, but not other hazes, much like whirfloc or irish moss will help with some hazes, but not all.

From what I've learned over the years, crystal clear beer will require either a VERY long cold storage/lagering (enough time in the fridge, even Hefeweizen will drop crystal clear) or post-fermentation finings/filtering. If I want extremly clear beer, I chill the beer down after fermentation has finished, and fine with gelatin while it's cold to wipe out chill haze. Only way I could think of to get clearer beer is to filter it. I just picked up some Isinglass to use for the next batch going into polypins next weekend, but I haven't actually used it yet, but it should be as effective as gelatin if not moreso.

If you don't want to use additional fininings, let your beer sit in the fridge for an extended period of time. Most haze-causing compounds in beer will drop out with extended cold contitioning. Some (like starch haze) will not.

CC ferm vessel (post-ferm, of course) in the fridge for 24 hr., add gelatin, CC another 2-3 days. Pull it out 24 hr. before racking to bottling vessel and leave it where it will be for bottling, so anything that might need settling, will. "Careful racking" simply means not sucking up trub when racking to bottling vessel. Super-clear beer every time!

Thank all of you so much. I'm going out of town for 2-3 weeks and I will keep in the fridge. I will also be using the gelatin before I keg. Most of the time I'm not too worried about it, but I'm doing my first IPA. I want it look really good. Once again thank all of you for your help..

Good luck but dry hopping any significant amount will cause a haze from the hop oils that takes a very extended lagering time to improve (mine has been cold conditioning for 4 weeks now and is still hazy and most if my other beers after this much time are crystal clear) so don't be disappointed when your IPA is not crystal clear. There is a general understanding that good IPA's will be hazy if they are not filtered.

Good luck but dry hopping any significant amount will cause a haze from the hop oils that takes a very extended lagering time to improve (mine has been cold conditioning for 4 weeks now and is still hazy and most if my other beers after this much time are crystal clear) so don't be disappointed when your IPA is not crystal clear. There is a general understanding that good IPA's will be hazy if they are not filtered.

Ditto this. First beer I dry-hopped was a DIPA. I ran it through the same procedure for clearing my other beers, but it has a definite --- but rather appealing --- haze to it. Not "cloudy", but just a subtle haze.

Ok I did the could crashing, and gelatin and still cloudy as you all predicted for an IPA. Oh well it taste good and that's what's important right haha

Back