Clearing problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNolt17

Reaction score
I need some advice. Brewed an ale about 6 weeks ago. 2 weeks in the primary, transferred to a sanke keg and pressurized and let sit for another 2 weeks. Put it in the fridge planning on letting it sit and carbonate for another week. I checked it at about 5, 6 and 7 days and the beer tasted good and was a nice Amber color but wasn't carbonating. I realized that somehow I shut off my CO2 valve. Given that I didn't really want to wait for it to carbonate anymore I cranked my PSI to about 30 and shook the keg really good and left it at 35 overnight before turning back to about 8 the next day. My problem is that my keg is now carbonated and tastes as expected but looks like a milkshake. I thought maybe it just needed to settle again but it's been about 5 days and still looks the same. Did I screw up? Will this clear up in the keg or just look odd until I drink it all. The good news is it tastes good, it's just odd that it looked great until I forced carbonated it and now looks almost like I need to chew it. Any input is appreciated. Thanks for reading and responding to my rambling post.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427936165.611752.jpg

I agree... first it needs to re-settle. Then you will probably re-pull some of the dregs on the first couple pours. If it's still not clear, you could try adding some non-flavored gelatin.

+1 to the previous posts.

if after that period and the first few pours you still have a haze it could be chill haze. the way to know is if the as the beer warms up the haze goes away. this is just aesthetic.

Back