Clearance Hops!! Need suggestions for use.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurpleJeepXJ

Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So this is my first post in a long time. Trying to get back in to brewing after taking a while off. I bought a good amount of hops from a homebrew supply shop that was going out of business. All the normal name hops I was familiar with were all gone. I bought "German Hull Mellon", "Summit", and "Calypso". I like IPAs and know the calypso and summit would work. What about the hull mellon? All are pellet. I do have some chinook vacuum sealed that are about 2 years old. I have a couple pounds of rye and a pound or so of crystal 40. I was thinking a batch of 12# 2 row. 2# rye, and 1# crystal 40. 5 gallon batch. Need advice on the hops. I no longer have a computer for my brewing software and beersmith on the phone seems half useless. Need some advice.

I just did a Vienna Huell Melon SMASH, and it tastes great. Although I didn't get as much fruitiness as I had read in other people's reviews.

I brewed a calypsp/mosaic pale ale that wad really good! I got the idea from "grunion" a pale ale from ballast point

Some people get garlic from summit. All I've ever gotten is pretty standard American citrus hop. Just don't go nuts with it I guess.

Some people get garlic from summit. All I've ever gotten is pretty standard American citrus hop. Just don't go nuts with it I guess.

I've never gotten garlic.
I currently have a batch of my Three S amber ale on tap that is probably my best brew ever. It has summit, simcoe, and saphir.

I've never gotten garlic.
I currently have a batch of my Three S amber ale on tap that is probably my best brew ever. It has summit, simcoe, and saphir.

Yup, neither have I. Not the slightest bit. I've also never used more than 3 oz of Summit at a time so maybe if you go crazy with it or get a batch batch/crop you get the garlic coming out.

Yakima Valley hops is selling some 1lb bags of their 2014 leftovers for 3 and 4 dollars. Think they're any good at that age?

Yakima Valley hops is selling some 1lb bags of their 2014 leftovers for 3 and 4 dollars. Think they're any good at that age?
A lot depends on how they were stored. I've used hps that were that old and had good luck, but if they weren't stored properly, they could be cheesy (literally; if you ever have hops that have gone bad you'll know what I mean).

I recently bought some hops from Yakima Valley and they were stored well, so you might be ok with these.

Apparently (after some quick googling) even cheesy hops have a use in lambics.

Back