Clear top of corny keg to see level of transfer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neoresin

Reaction score
Does anybody know of any way (outside of precise measurement, I guess) to observe the level of transfer from a stainless steel fermenter to a corny keg that one can't see inside of (due to the fact that I would like to perform a closed transfer into the corny keg)? Any suggestions would be very much welcome.

I'll try just that. I do have a scale that can handle that, so thank you. Sounds like a plan.

fwiw, I also use a digital scale when racking to kegs. I do not tare the empty keg because even with its wall wart it might time out and go to sleep, losing the tare weight. So I just write down the tare weight, then use a keg volume calculator written by HBT member @kaljade to determine how much five gallons of the particular beer weighs (the tool takes into account the beer's FG, temperature, CO2 pressure, and altitude, to come up with a fairly precise number - within a few ounces for sure as my tap list attests.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/keg-volume-calculator.633022/
1635208546768.jpeg

Cheers!

We haven't heard from @kaljade since this past March, unfortunately, so no way to track down where he stashed the distributable copy.

That said, I have a prior version that has been working quite nicely, but it's not the same MD5 version as what is listed in the thread I linked.
My version was generated in Jan 9, 2019, which if you review the thread above you'll see where it likely fits with the changes. For sure, no major errors are extant - I use this all the time I with my sf800 meters rarely have more than a half pour error when a keg kicks (or should have). Lately it's really been within 3 to 4 ounces.

As Kal set me up with his program at the very beginning I don't think he'd be upset if I parked a copy of what I have on my Google Drive.

Let me know if the link doesn't work. Since Windows 10 and Google Drive mucking about there's a decent chance bodged the link :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bdULrHg0cYUK0Z0v64iQap8esF7XULTv/view?usp=sharing
Cheers!

Back