Clear or black tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffNYC

Reaction score
I am going to start converting a wine fridge to a kegerator. It has a glass door, so I was thinking of using black vinyl tubing rather than clear to avoid potential problems with sunlight. Anyone think there is value to clear tubing, to see cleanliness?

You could always cover the glass door with one of those window tint kits inside and out should be pretty dark. Or cover it with a sheet of plywood paneling, cardboard, even construction paper.

I like to be able to see if there's any crud inside my hoses.

For cosmetic reasons, I don't want to cover the glass door (nor insulate them).

So consensus is clear is the only way to go? I assume so given the work-arounds suggested...

Silly question here, but I thought I read (couldn't find with a search) that 3/16" is the way to go for beer line. The ball lock quick disconnects are 1/4". Will the tubing work with this or do I need to go with 1/4" line?

Thanks.

3/16" line for 1/4" barb. pain in the a$$ to get on but won't come off and you don't need a hose clamp.

unless you plan on keeping your wine fridge in a south facing window i wouldn't worry about UV damage. also, if you do the math, the amount of beer per ft of 3/16" line is ridiculously small. if you're entire 5' of line skunked then you'd have to dump a few ounces at most.

Back