Cleansers/Sanitizers on Copper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bschot

Reaction score
Okay, so I built myself a CFC wort chiller and have been doing research on what type of cleanser/sanitizers to use on it. I already have StarSan and understand that it's safe to use on copper as long as I don't leave it for more than a few hours, I was only going to leave it for a few minutes anyway. But I was wondering what kind of cleanser to use. I was thinking PBW, but I don't know if its safe for copper. Is there a better cleanser or would a cleanser be necessary if I rinse the chiller well after anyway? I was going to make a garden hose attachment for the wort side to clean any residual wort. :mug:

I just spray that bad boy with a garden hose and gently scrub it down with a sponge. I wash it immediately after chilling so the hop gunk doesn't dry on.

As long as you drop it in with several mins left in the boil it's gonna be ok.

Sometimes I'll give it a quick wash with a cloth I've dunked in star san.

I had forgotten about copper's antimicrobial properties. Do you sanitize prior to use, I figured I'd at least do that.

I spray it off with hose and wipe down to remove any particulate matter and wipe of with towel. If is get a bit tarnished in between brews and you would like to remove the tarnish and sponge or green Scotch Bright pad and vinegar works wonders.

As for brew day preparation, if it is not tarnished I hit it with a hose and with 30 minutes left to boil I rest it across the top of my brew pot to preheat it. My chiller is about 50" of 1/2" copper and a bit big for 5 gallon batches, if I don't preheat it the boil stops for 3-5 minutes when I put it in the pot. With 15 minutes remaining I drop it in the boil and call it good.

It's funny people keep giving you IC advice when you said CFC...

To answer, sometimes... :) The funnel that came with my starter kits fits just right overtop of my 1/2" silicone hose, sometimes I'll run a quart of starsan through and then purge by mouth sometimes I just make sure it's purged of liquid. I always do this 8 minutes before FO to make sure the copper can kill anything in my breath... dunno why exactly.

Make sure you operate from the boiling hot end though as the heat will help sanitize.

I guess my CFC is the one thing I'm pretty lackadaisical about sanitizing. I rely on it being copper to help. No infections from it yet but only about 4 batches through it so far.

I'm also pretty new to brewing so take my advice with some salt, it was what advice I could dig up and it has been working for me. Thought I'd pass it along though. Don't forget to RDWHAHB :mug:

DON'T put your CFC in the boil!!!!!!!! like it's been recommended, and hosing it off won't help either! :D

I find that just running some cleaner through it when I clean the boil kettle and pump works great. Then I rinse and drain out as much as the water as I can. I don't sanitize it, really, just start recirculating with 10 minutes left in the boil.

I do take it off of the stand about every third or fourth brew and clean it and rinse it in the sink, just to make sure it's pretty clean.

Wow my apologies!! I had not had apparently not had enough coffee when I read this this morning. Sorry!!!:drunk:

Back