1 step a sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 337266

Reaction score
Brewing my first time today and thought 1 step is a sanitizer. Is it a cleanser or sanitizer. I don’t have anyway of getting starsan today and just want to make sure I don’t ruin the brew.

It's always a matter of how much risk you are willing to take. Even Star San isn't the perfect sanitizer. While it's broad ranging it still might be that one day you'll have a contamination with something that even Star San won't take care of.

So your One Step, while advertised as a no rinse cleaner still might be good enough if everything has been kept clean and away from things that might contaminate it. In fact, while googling it I came across this note on NB's website about it...
Note: while technically a cleanser, One Step does have some sanitizing properties through the release of hydrogen peroxide. It can be used in no-rinse applications in most home brewing tasks.
One Step Cleaner

The hydrogen peroxide makes me think this is probably mostly sodium percarbonate which also is a big ingredient for PBW and Oxyclean.

If you decide to use this, then let it soak a little longer than the 10 minutes you might for Star San.

If you are still worried then soak everything in a chlorine bleach solution prior to the soak in 1 step. Read the instructions for the ratio. Chlorine bleach will kill way more than Star San. But it needs to be rinsed off. And the subsequent soak in 1 step will do that.

one step is incredibly good for home brewing. Keep in mind sterilization isn't a practicable option for home brewing so we use sanitizing which is an industry thing. Oxy is very powerful and cleaning and destroying cell walls and thus getting rid of organic matter (and getting your shirts bright white). For decades all I used was one step with never a single issue. Use hot water.

My current routine is to primarily use one step on everything, I make a small batch of star san in a spray bottle for targeting stuff like spigots, tubes and I give a quick spray to the insides of my fermenter and keg.

fwiw, more and more commercial suppliers of oxy based cleaners and using the word sanitizer in their applications, such as laundry sanitizer and food sanitizer. OXYSAN is a food grade oxy cleaner and acid sanitizer in one product. I suspect we'll see that take over the brewing world pretty soon.

one step is incredibly good for home brewing. Keep in mind sterilization isn't a practicable option for home brewing so we use sanitizing which is an industry thing. Oxy is very powerful and cleaning and destroying cell walls and thus getting rid of organic matter (and getting your shirts bright white). For decades all I used was one step with never a single issue. Use hot water.

My current routine is to primarily use one step on everything, I make a small batch of star san in a spray bottle for targeting stuff like spigots, tubes and I give a quick spray to the insides of my fermenter and keg.
Ditto.

Latest posts

Back