Cleaning Tri-Clamp Butterfly Valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lennie

Reaction score
I've used my Brewhemoth conical for four batches now and decided I'd better take off the valves and clean them. I tried to disassemble them but even though I removed the bolts holding the two halves of main body together, the handle part wouldn't allow them to come apart. Does anyone have a schematic or can you describe how to get these apart? Or is it even possible to do this? Looks like theres a rubber gasket material in the center that the butterfly valve seats on.

I've used my Brewhemoth conical for four batches now and decided I'd better take off the valves and clean them. I tried to disassemble them but even though I removed the bolts holding the two halves of main body together, the handle part wouldn't allow them to come apart. Does anyone have a schematic or can you describe how to get these apart?
Not a Brewhemoth owner.;)

All my butterfly valves from different manufactures disassemble the same way.
Or is it even possible to do this?

The first thing you have to remove the screw, set screw or bolt from the handle.
Butterfly-Valve_09.jpg
Butterfly-Valve_04.jpg

Butterfly-Valve_01.jpg

Butterfly-Valve_06.jpg

The hard part is the handle removal, requires a flat screwdriver and force.
Some valves have a square or rectangular shaft.

Butterfly-Valve_02.jpg

Looks like theres a rubber gasket material in the center that the butterfly valve seats on.

After you remove the four bolts and a little force the valve comes apart.
The gasket looks like the black one or the white silicone.
I just replaced the gasket a few weeks ago.

Butterfly-Valve.jpg

Butterfly-Valve_05.jpg

The butterfly valves don't need to be disassembled for cleaning like the ball valves.
No dead space for any material or fluid buildup.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I was just overlooking the screw on the handle piece. I have the one like your last handle pic and all the holes obscured the presence of that screw. Plus I wasn't sure I needed/wanted to take it apart. Thanks much for the great advice, that explains it for me.

Back