Troubleshooting Tri Clamp Butterfly Valve that doesn't close completely

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beervoid

Hophead & Pellet Rubber
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just got a 4" tri clamp valve in and have a problem closing it completely.

The valve disk in the middle doesn't seem to want to settle in the horizontal position, so one side of the disk is higher then the other.
It takes quiet a lot of effort to put it in the close position at the last slot but the disk in the middle is not exactly horizontal straight at this point. It is as if the silicon gasket in the middle is too thick so it won't turn anymore.
Other smaller (1.5" and 2") valves I got, have some leverage where you can position them pretty much straight horizontal.

I'm still in the process of building my setup so I can't pressure test it, so I was wondering if people have experienced this problem with bigger valves?
Any advice tips are very welcome.
Thank you.

I've never seen this problem, but it sounds like you got a defective butterfly valve. Can you return/exchange it? If it's new, you shouldn't have to live with it.

I've never seen this problem, but it sounds like you got a defective butterfly valve. Can you return/exchange it? If it's new, you shouldn't have to live with it.
I've been asking around, it seems those bigger valves can be a pain to close and it's not uncommen for them to not completely settle horizontally, they should still close good. I think perhaps changing the gasket could help.

Back