Cleaning the Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Parrotte

Reaction score
What's the best method to clean a grain mill?
I rinsed mine out with water after the first use and noticed some rust spots on the rollers....now I don't know how to clean it?

I use the air compressor also for my grain mill. I also blow out my EHERMS coil and CFC with compressed air at the end of the day.

for those utilizing an air compressor and blow gun to clean your equipment - are you also utilizing an air trap to keep any oil vapor (compressor piston blow by) from getting blown into/onto your equipment?

something like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-desiccant-dryer-with-oil-removal-filter-69923.html

I use something similar ahead of my spray finish gun (when applying a sprayed finish to an electric guitar body) to keep those small oil vapor droplets from making their way thru the line and out the gun nozzle. in a spray finish, these oil vapor droplets cause fisheyes in the finish. it's how I know they are there even if they aren't easily seen when blowing the same compressed air when cleaning dust/debris off of brewing equipment

I've banged it to knock the dust off several times but it always leaves some behind where ever I set it. A small mess but a mess nonetheless! Take a few seconds to blow it off with the compressor. I dont get crazy with it, just want to clean it up a bit.

I didnt even know oil droplets were a possibility; cant say I've noticed anything like that nor do I care to worry about it..

I also have never cleaned mine. Just a bang on the bucket and a quick palm wipe and I'm done.

I'm also a banger. I'm more concerned with grinding my base malt last so there isn't any dark malt dust going into a lighter beer.

Another bang it on the bucket guy....I also kinda wipe off the loose dust on the bottom.

As someone pointed out, it will continue to drop dust after that, which is why I store it in a kitchen sized trash bag.

Only cleaning I've ever done is to bump it, and use a brush to knock dust off the outside.

I made a mount that fits on top of a bucket, so most of the loose cleaning dust falls into the bucket. (I laid out the mount so the hand crank would work, but I've never used it, I drive it with a geared hand drill.)

IMG_20171208_142146_496.jpg IMG_20171208_141928_981.jpg

I take it outside the porch in the backyard, tap it a few times and then blow real hard while it is upside down. Works great! Just make sure to move your face away quickly or you'll get dust all over your mug! Then after a few brew days I will blow it out with an air compressor.

John

Last edited:
You’re supposed to clean a grain mill?

Just kidding, not really concerned about it at all. I typically will knock or brush the dust off my mills during any regular service or adjustment, other than that I can’t be bothered.

Water is about the worst idea, and if using water, I would dry the mill in a warm oven for a while to be certain it is dry.

Last edited:
for those utilizing an air compressor and blow gun to clean your equipment - are you also utilizing an air trap to keep any oil vapor (compressor piston blow by) from getting blown into/onto your equipment?

something like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-desiccant-dryer-with-oil-removal-filter-69923.html

I use something similar ahead of my spray finish gun (when applying a sprayed finish to an electric guitar body) to keep those small oil vapor droplets from making their way thru the line and out the gun nozzle. in a spray finish, these oil vapor droplets cause fisheyes in the finish. it's how I know they are there even if they aren't easily seen when blowing the same compressed air when cleaning dust/debris off of brewing equipment
Excellent point.

Only cleaning I've ever done is to bump it, and use a brush to knock dust off the outside.

I made a mount that fits on top of a bucket, so most of the loose cleaning dust falls into the bucket. (I laid out the mount so the hand crank would work, but I've never used it, I drive it with a geared hand drill.)

View attachment 573891 View attachment 573892
Nice adaptation.

You’re supposed to clean a grain mill?

Just kidding, not really concerned about it at all. I typically will knock or brush the dust off my mills during any regular service or adjustment, other than that I can’t be bothered.

Water is about the worst idea, and if using water, I would dry the mill in a warm oven for a while to be certain it is dry.
I won't be using water again.

I detach the hopper from the mill every month or so and use a shop vac to clean out grain dust to that builds up in corners of my 3 roller Monster Mill.
I also use the vac to suck out any random dust in the top of the mill, mill chute and cabinet after each use.
It takes 5 minutes.

I detach the hopper from the mill every month or so and use a shop vac to clean out grain dust to that builds up in corners of my 3 roller Monster Mill.
I also use the vac to suck out any random dust in the top of the mill, mill chute and cabinet after each use.
It takes 5 minutes.

This is exactly what I do along with using a 2-3" brush to get the smaller debris out. I have had the mill start to get "gritty" and not want to run smooth on the roller side due to lack of cleaning so I usually do this routine once a year and never had a problem since doing my annual cleaning of the mill.
I easily run 500lbs of grain yearly though mine minimally..

I do NOT use any water anywhere when I clean..its not needed and would probably do more harm than good.

Nothing a few bangs with your hand can't handle to knock out most of the dust, then compressed air if you really want to get it all out of there. Spraying it down with water sounds like a direct path to rust.

Oilless air compressor here. Keep the knurling clean on the rollers! Keeps my house cleaner too :)

View attachment 573891 View attachment 573892
Is that the kegco 3 roller? I just got one but haven't used it yet.

my mill is mounted on a piece of thick chipboard and sits on a square poly bucket ..when i mill and finished ..get small broom/or paint brush and clean underneath

Last edited:
Buy one of those cans of compressed air they sell to clean your computer out. Just a few bucks.

Am I the only one to have used a leaf blower?

Hey, whatever works. That is an innovative idea. Probably a lot of people that don't have a compressor do have a leaf blower. I can think of some politicians that would work as well as either:)

Back