Cleaning Seals for Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenBrew

Reaction score
I was given 5 corny kegs, so that was pretty awesome! They just needed a lot of cleaning because they hasn't been used/cleaned in about 10 years.

So I found the sticky at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/sticky-kegging-faqs-43347/ and got all the stainless steal parts cleaned pretty well. However, the seals have absorbed the smell of the old beer.

It was suggested that I try soaking the seals in a mild bleach solution for twenty minutes. However, how much bleach should I add per unit of water?

If the keg/seals still smell after that I'll just buy new seals.

Don't waste you time trying to get rid of the old soda smell, it just isn't gonna happen (especially if any of them held rootbeer). You can find a thread with part numbers for the gaskets at McMaster Carr and you and you'll have a lifetime supply of them for a nominal cost.

I assume that old beer smells would be equally as impossible to get rid of as old soda smells?

+1 to replacing the seals. Rubber seals dry out and should be replaced every couple of years anyways.

It's only about $2 for a seal kit with all 5 o rings. I replace them whenever I get a new keg. The smell is impossible to completely remove.

I wouldn't use bleach in stainless steel, you're asking for trouble.

Forego bleach and use PBW, OxiClean, or some other stuff.

He is soaking o-rings in bleach, not the keg.

Buy new O-rings, good to have extras lying around.

He is soaking o-rings in bleach, not the keg.

Even still...

Old, dried out (and porous) rubber. + Bleach.

I'm thinking that's a recipe for swimming pool flavored beer.

The o-rings are cheap and sold by pretty much every online homebrewing vendor I know of. Just like light bulbs or toilet paper, they're a disposable item. You use them and replace as needed.

Back