Cleaning problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lsrc11

Reaction score
I just finished my batch so I used 5 tbs of b brite and filled the carboy with hot water I left it over night and in the morning there was a clear to white film on the inside of the carboy. I try to soak in b brite again for 30 min but no change I tried to brush the film but it's stuck on any idea what I can do it looks kind of like hard water stains. Do I need a new carboy or can I just use it with the film on the inside.

Hmmm

time to switch cleaners.

Try an Oxyclean soak for half an hour, and rinse, rinse, rinse, and rinse again.
see what that looks like. (or spring for PBW - but that's quite a bit more expensive)

Check out in the cleaning/sanitization forum for this answer - I'm pretty sure that's a common issue when you use too much of that stuff. If my memory serves me correctly, a simple vinegar solution will take off the film. I would definitely not use your carboy again until you get it off of there.

I like five-star PBW. Good stuff. It even takes the label glue off the bottles. Great on loosening the crud on the inside of the FV & bottles too.

TTB-J said:
Check out in the cleaning/sanitization forum for this answer - I'm pretty sure that's a common issue when you use too much of that stuff. If my memory serves me correctly, a simple vinegar solution will take off the film. I would definitely not use your carboy again until you get it off of there.

Thanks for the info in fact my mom had suggested a vinegar solution I guess the old methods work lol cheers

Just got ride of the film with a cup of white vinegar and some hot water soaked for 25 min and bam just like new

Back