Cleaning Plastic Fermenting Vessel / Bucket with Bleach + Odor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I have the Coopers plastic fermenting vessel. I recently brewed their lager kit and bottled today.

I cleaned the fermenting vessel with 23L of cold water and a little bleach < 1/4 cup. I soaked the fermenter for a couple of hours and dumped the water.

I then rinsed it about 8 times with cold water. For some reason I still have a faint smell of bleach in the fermenting vessel. Is this normal?

The smell is only present if I put my face inside the fermenting vessel and smell it.

If left out to breath, the bleach odor should go away...better yet leave it out in the sun. Hot water also dissipates bleach faster than cold I believe.

If you rinsed very well, it should be ok. In the future, I'd recommend using a mixture of hot water and Oxyclean or PBW. They work great getting all the gunk off.

If you rinsed very well, it should be ok. In the future, I'd recommend using a mixture of hot water and Oxyclean or PBW. They work great getting all the gunk off.

Thanks to all for all of the replies. I'm definitely going to pick up some Oxyclean free.

Especially if you bottle. It's awesome for removing labels. An overnight soak in some oxyclean and hot water and those labels will be floating on the surface...no elbow grease necessary.

Back