Cleaning outside of kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boondocksaint

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I scored some used kegs yesterday and am working on cleaning them up. I typically use hot water & PBW and got the insides all spotless. Most of these kegs also have tape/stickers and/or adhesive all over the outsides.
Was thinking of doing the same hot water/PBW soak with the kegs in a trash can or tote bin but am a bit concerned about the PBW also eating away the adhesive that holds the rubber boots on the kegs. The option I was thinking of was just using my pressure washer to blast the outsides to clean them. Thoughts? Other ideas?
Thanks! Cheers! 🍻

Yeah, I thought about going the heat gun route but these labels are years & years old…dried out…and I’m thinking the heat gun is just gonna cook’em on even more.

Pressure washer to begin with is worth a shot. Just don't send your legs rolling down the driveway!

if the sticker tells you you own stolen property....you shouldn't try to remove it! it'd be like finding a stray cat or dog with a name collar, and taking it off..

😇 😛

but honestly, i'd say a razor blade....maybe an electric sander and fine grit paper?

Started with the pressure washer (used a cinder block to keep them from rolling away) to get the top layer of stickers/tape off.
Then went to heat gun for the really tough stickers which worked great for all but the adhesive underneath.
Some I used acetone and a rag to clean up. Will go back to acetone or something to get the rest of the adhesive off and then prob wet sand with some 400 grit paper to make’em purrty…

Latest posts

Back