Cleaning out the keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC-Brewer

Reaction score
I built a nine tap coffin keezer a few years back and it's been a dream. The only problem is that I leave it outside on my porch in Mississippi and cleaning out the bottom has been difficult. No mold but it does produce a ton of condensation and occasionally a beer spills through the drip tray causing some funk.

I periodically remove all kegs and chlorox the bottom. This is a very manual process. I was wondering if anyone had installed a drain in the bottom of their freezer to periodically rinse off the entire setup and then let it drain? Alternatively, I was thinking of placing an aquarium pump in the bottom and just filling it up with soapy water on occasion and letting it drain out.

Any words of wisdom on keeping the inside of my kegerator clean?

I had a keezer condensation issue years ago. I found a package of leftover baby diapers and would place a diaper inside out or absorbent side down in the lowest corner of the keezer and occasionally spray a bleach water mix to control mildew. The diapers absorb a lot of moisture over time and work well,

When the freezer died I switched to a large upright bottom freezer refrigerator and couldn't be happier.

There are rechargeable dehumidifiers as well,but they require maintenance drying out the absorbent in the oven occasionally.

Keezers in warm humid environments can be a challenge.

It sounds like you have a less than excellent seal and warm humid air is infiltrating. Otherwise there would only be whatever moisture inside from the air that gets in when you open it. If you aren't opening it often adding a strip of self adhesive foam weatherstripping to the existing seal may greatly reduce the condensation. That's what I did on my keezer and I get very little condensation. I'm not in Mississippi but here in the Mid Atlantic we get our share of high humidity.

I keep a bucket of damp rid in my keezer. Does not help with beer spills but have not had any condensation issues.

Latest posts

Back