Cleaning out old carboy residue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjprice

Reaction score
:confused:
OK, I have just come into three carboys that were once used for wine making, but have been laying fallow for 15-20 years. The two 6.5 gallons came clean no problem.

However, the 5 gallon carboy has been the bane of my existence....it has this white residue on the inside that just won't come out, although it seems to "disappear" when it is wet (if that makes sense). Here is what I have done so far:
Scrubbing with plain water
Scrubbing with Oxyclean
Soaking with Oxyclean overnight
Soaking with Oxyclean for a week (I was out of town)
Scrubbing with vinegar
Scrubbing with dish soap

Nothing seems to touch this stuff. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like calcium. Try CLR. Make sure you triple rinse (or more) after.
Yeah, I thought the same thing, which is why I tried the vinegar. I will try the CLR next.

oxyclean!!!! works every time. or powdered brewery wash at you LHBS
That is what I heard, and I went out and bought some oxyclean when plain water didn't work for this carboy....But like I said, scrubbing, soaking overnight and soaking for an entire week with oxyclean didn't touch this stuff.

Yeah, if the Oxyclean didn't get it, I would try CLR, but be sure to rinse VERY well. I am surprised the vinegar didnt do the trick... If it wasnt a glass carboy and you didnt run the risk of shattering it, I would say try some boiling vinegar, but ehhh....

how much did you use? i had some major gunk that was gone the next day. Really really hot water an a full scoop of oxy did the trick. Powdered brewery wash is better. try that. They also sell curved carboy that can loose some of the gunk

carboybrushR.jpg

It also might just be permanent. Maybe it held some wine (or wine gone to vinegar) for a REALLY long time, and actually etched the glass. If the CLR doesn't work (I'd try swirling it around undiluted), I'd bet it is permanent.

To be thorough, try some rubbing alcohol (Isopropanol) which would remove organic gunk. You've already hit it with an alkali (Oxyclean), but you might try a stronger one. Beer Line Cleaner is Potassium Hydroxide, but I don't know the concentration. Or you could try some Lye. If still no luck, I'd say it was etched.

I've got 1 5 gallon carboy with what looks like a water/mineral stain down one side - it resists removal too. I've brewed in it many times w/no ill effects. It kinda looks like the carboy had about a cup of water in it, was laying on it's side, and the water completely evaporated, leaving just minerals behind.

I'd say if you can't get it out w/all the chemicals & scrubbing w/a carboy brush, then RDWHAHB and ferment in the sucker.

If it's still not coming out, maybe it's nothing to worry about. :)

I had got a 5 gallon from a buddy that had set in the attic for a few years and I think he forgot to wash his last batch in it. I used a cup of bleach unperfumed and hot water and in a couple of days it was crystal clear. Just rinse it good.

Thanks for all of the responses so far.

I used a good bit of oxyclean...my tub called for one scoop per gallon for a cleaning solution, and I added 7ish scoops for the 5 gallon carboy...and I did scrub with the cute little curved brush.

I haven't tried the CLR yet...I don't have any at the house now, and it isn't worth a 30 minute trip into town just to pick some up. I will try to get some this weekend and give it a shot.

If it doesn't come off with that, then I am going to go on the assumption that it won't come off with 5 gallons of beer sitting in the thing and just go with it.

Carboy Gunk -- side view
Carboy Gunk -- top view

im pretty sure thats hard water deposits....go with the CLR...if that doesnt work im pretty sure its not gonna come off into your beer. Unless beer is stronger than CLR and bleach and whatever else you used. Coca cola might work also. I know that sounds stupid but if you set an iron nail in a cup filled with coke it will be disolved in under a week. Ive never tried it but i can vouch that it works to remove rust and a bunch of other nasties.

I tried the CLR and no dice.

I am just going to go with it and assume that if the gunk didn't come off with all of these attempts, then it won't come off in beer. Thanks again to everybody for their help.

I heard using corse salt and very hot water to clean stain in a carboy. I never tried it but I never had stains like you have. Of course bleach is made with salt so if bleach didn`t work I not sure if course salt will work. But try it for the hell of it and let us know.

Later

If you have severe mineral deposits in your carboy, you can try a rinse with muratic acid. It is a much stronger acid than vinegar or CLR and is available at home centers in the paint department.

It is cheap and it works.

If you use muratic acid for anything, ever, you need to be extremely cautious.
It will burn skin, eyes and the fumes are just plain nasty. Definitely an outside project and you need to wear rubber gloves and eye protection when you work with it.

When cleaning with it, you should rinse your carboy with a solution of water and baking soda to neutralize any residue.

Good Luck

isnt muric acid the sht that cleans your driveway of oil stains. Rough stuff if im thinking correctly although it would melt any foreign material inside the carboy away.,....

isnt muric acid the sht that cleans your driveway of oil stains. Rough stuff if im thinking correctly although it would melt any foreign material inside the carboy away.,....

Yes, it is commonly used to clean and prepare concrete for painting or sealing.

Back