Cleaning out my Primary Bucket's Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apt23Brewery

Reaction score
So, I'm getting worried that perhaps my valve on my primary fermenter is not getting as clean as it should be. Any advice for deep cleaning this piece of equipment?

Also, is there an arguement for using regular water/sanitizer/vodka in the airlock?

Thanks again to all who reply
You make my brew better!

Are you using a bottling bucket with spigot for your primary? I would take it apart and give it a soak in PBW or Oxiclean, and then rinse well.

I'd use sanitizer or vodka in the airlock in case you get a little suck-back into your fermenter. The little in there won't affect anything, but you never know what's living in the water.

My plastic stuff is starting to get a little stained, but it doesn't seem to affect anything. I always take my spigot completely apart and clean it up with oxyclean so that there is nothing weird lurking in there.

I don't think it matters what you put in the airlock, it's just personal preference. I put star san in mine because I have it laying around.

So I actually just went and bought a new spigot to use for now, while I work on cleaning my original one.

Hi apt23, those 3pc plastic bottling spigots will come apart to clean but are a bear the first time. The inner/outer "sleeve" that allows the spigot to rotate will harbor mold because liquid gets in there and won't rinse out. Use something like a blunt table knife to help pry those 2 pieces apart. The "spigot" can be driven out - brace the housing on the edge of your kitchen sink and whack the tip of the spigot with the blunt side of a meat mallet or similar.

The 3 pieces will snap back together. Dissasembly is MUCH easier after the first time. If you already have mold in your first spigot, toss it. I learned the hard way about mold spores in plastic (it's not just the mold you see!) Taking it apart each time it will eventually cause the parts to wear. It's a $3 part, just keep a new one on hand & toss the old one when it's worn out/starts to leak.

Back