Cleaning multiple keg lines at once

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, they're about 2-3 weeks out. It's really hard to keep 1700 skus in stock all the time.

No worries...that's understandable. I asked your site to send me an email when you have them in stock so I'll pick it up then. It will be a very nice part to have and, as far as I can tell, you're the only one selling it. I look forward to using it!

I use those connectors to clean a 5-tap keezer. I daisy-chain them using 1/2" silicone tubing fit over the spouts. It works remarkably well.

Starting w/ the tap on the right, the Liquid QD for that tap connects to the pump; the cleaning solution runs into that, out the tap, where it then moves to tap 2; the liquid QDs for taps 2 and 3 are connected w/ Bobby's device.

Then the spouts for taps 3 and 4 are connected with silicone tubing, while the liquid QDs for taps 4 and 5 are connected with Bobby's device.

Finally a longer piece of silicone tubing drains from spout 5 back into the bucket.

I've since found I get better flow if I put the bucket on a chair or crate, but given all the resistance present in all these thin ID lines, it's amazing that it works.

I typically do a solution of BLC and set it in motion; I'll drain off the beer that is displaced into a small bucket, and when the solution flows clear I'll then return that to the bucket for recycling through the system. I let the system do its thing for 20-30 minutes, then flush with water (draining about 1/2 gallon off into a bucket again), then I'll add a little star-san just because.

PS: I've found it doesn't work so well if the tap handles are pushed back. :)

View attachment 417745

View attachment 417746

View attachment 417747

I just found out about this jumper, and I'd like to use it just like you are. I have 6 taps, about 10' each. I'm curious which pump you use, and whether it gives the right amount of pressure? I've seen some people with various pumps on amazon, but didn't know if they're too weak for more than 1-2 taps.

Also, someone mentioned that this might leak with certain faucets. I have the standard faucet with the piston in the front (like the link below). Has anybody had success using this process with such a faucet?

http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/843154.htm

I just found out about this jumper, and I'd like to use it just like you are. I have 6 taps, about 10' each. I'm curious which pump you use, and whether it gives the right amount of pressure? I've seen some people with various pumps on amazon, but didn't know if they're too weak for more than 1-2 taps.

This is the one I am using:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012UZYMG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Given that you have one more tap than I do, I might be inclined to go with something with a bit more capacity. You're not going to get a major stream exiting the last line--mine is more like an aggressive trickle--but it's enough to work. I've looked at bubbles working their way through the lines, they move at a decent clip. I think the issue is that you have movement, not the force of that movement.

I've seen the color of the cleaning fluid darken as the minutes tick past, which tells me the solution is removing the deposits I want it to remove.

Also, someone mentioned that this might leak with certain faucets. I have the standard faucet with the piston in the front (like the link below). Has anybody had success using this process with such a faucet?

http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/843154.htm

I don't think it has anything to do with where the piston is. Open is open, closed is closed. Instead, I think you'd have to be careful to ensure the hose fits reasonably tight over the spout. The silicone tubing sticks on my faucets--it doesn't just slide on, I have to work it on--and off.

Below is a pic of your faucet and one of my Perlick faucet. Note the tapered spout on mine versus yours. I am virtually certain it would work on yours, provide the silicone tubing is reasonably tight. Not sure if 1/2" tubing would work--maybe you'd need 3/8" or 7/16" something like that. All those sizes are available.

The system is not running under high pressure, so you don't want something like a sump pump pushing the liquid.

843154-2.jpg

843179-2.jpg

As a note, when I run this I always drain the "first runnings" into a pail before I allow it to return to the bucket with the pump in it. I want to purge all the lines of beer, don't want that diluting the cleaning solution. When it comes out clear, I return to the pump bucket. That's how I know the color of the solution changes over time.

I don't think it has anything to do with where the piston is. Open is open, closed is closed. Instead, I think you'd have to be careful to ensure the hose fits reasonably tight over the spout. The silicone tubing sticks on my faucets--it doesn't just slide on, I have to work it on--and off.

Below is a pic of your faucet and one of my Perlick faucet. Note the tapered spout on mine versus yours. I am virtually certain it would work on yours, provide the silicone tubing is reasonably tight. Not sure if 1/2" tubing would work--maybe you'd need 3/8" or 7/16" something like that. All those sizes are available.

The system is not running under high pressure, so you don't want something like a sump pump pushing the liquid.

Since I don't have the jumper yet, I decided to clean one faucet last night with an aquarium pump. I hooked up a growler filler from the pump to the faucet, then put the beer line over the bucket to put the water back into the bucket.

Turned on the pump, and water came spewing out of the piston in the front of my faucet. Oops! I can try hanging the bucket under the faucet so that the spewing water drips back into the bucket. I'll also try a bigger hose (rather than the 1' growler filler), which will reduce pressure. But unfortunately, it's not as seemless as the perlicks.

I bought two of these a few months ago and I finally tried them out yesterday. They worked great. I was able to clean all 4 beer lines and faucets in 15 minutes instead of over an hour.

I first used PBW by mistake, so I flushed that out and then used Beer Line Cleaner. I ran it in both directions to make sure it was clean. Then, I flushed it twice with water.

I notice some people will put Star San through before reconnecting the beer lines. This doesn't seem to make sense to me. Is this needed?

Also, does anyone take the faucets apart to clean? I have Perlicks. I didn't.

BeerLineCleaning2.jpg

BeerLineCleaning1.jpg

Nice,, Back in stock! Just ordered 6 of these Ball Lock Keg (free flowing) QD Jumper Posts

I bought two of these a few months ago and I finally tried them out yesterday. They worked great. I was able to clean all 4 beer lines and faucets in 15 minutes instead of over an hour.

I first used PBW by mistake, so I flushed that out and then used Beer Line Cleaner. I ran it in both directions to make sure it was clean. Then, I flushed it twice with water.

I notice some people will put Star San through before reconnecting the beer lines. This doesn't seem to make sense to me. Is this needed?

Also, does anyone take the faucets apart to clean? I have Perlicks. I didn't.

View attachment 617913
View attachment 617912
I never used to clean my faucets until I had a batch that tasted off. Not only do I take apart and clean the faucets but I also take apart and clean the corny keg connectors. I was amazed at how much gunk had not been cleared by the BLC.

Cheers

They look great....been looking to get some for months, but continually out of stock with no ETA...

Back