cleaning film off bottom of bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I'm making my way through my Belgian ipa and I'm noticing that even after rinsing the bottle with hot water or soap and water theres still s film on the bottom of. The bottle I'm guessing from the Belgian yeast. I've even washed some in the dishwasher and the film is still there. Really I just want to make sure that this film won't effect future batches that get bottles in the same bottles, I always wash and starsan soak before bottling.

I've got the same problem. Half a teaspoon of PBW in the bottle with as hot of tap water as you can get takes care of it in a couple hours.

No need to go crazy with chemicals. A bottle brush and hot tap water is all you need. To make it as easy as possible, rinse immediately after emptying. The key is the bottle brush.

A star san rinse before bottling is still required of course.

Seriously, Belgian yeast is amazingly resilient at making a film. I don't disagree with you, but a little PBW in the bottle after rinsing removes it incredibly well.

I've even washed some in the dishwasher and the film is still there.

A dishwasher isn't going to get to the bottom of the bottle in most cases. The dishwasher is good for it's heat at the end of the wash cycle.

I've had similar issues with some looking as though little spots of yeast just wouldn't let go.

I tried the bottle brush, but the end isn't designed to scrub the bottom well enough so I took a .45 cal nylon pistol cleaning brush and bent it like the carboy brushes. Worked well.

From my many questions it seems most believe it to be mineral deposits, though what the larger spots were nobody eluded to...

I chuck about a teaspoon of swimming pool chlorine in bottles like that, half full with water, let it sit for a day and then rinse. Am yet to not get a bottle crystal clean after that.

Yeah, I struggled with this. When held up to the light, I could even see the scratches in the film where the brush removed some but not all. I use the oxyclean soak (I also add tsp to make my own PBW). I have a strip of a micro fiber rag that i throw in the bottle with the brush. Perfect bottles. I typically now throw my little rag in every bottle I scrub. Only takes an extra second and works like a champ.

Mine have that bit of beer mixed with trub/yeast at the bottom. I swirl it around a bit & dump it. Fill bottle with tap water to just below the shoulder, cover with the butt of my hand & shake a bit. Dump that, then fill all the way with tap water again. I do 7 at a time, since those 5 quart ice cream pails hold that many 12oz bottles. So after doing this with all of them, I go back to the first one I filled to scrub it with the bottle brush. Rinse again & onto the bottle tree to dry. My bottles are 99% clean at that point. Just the occasional spot gets a PBW soak. And that's not very often.

Well I had oxygen clean so I tried 4 bottles last night with a 1/4 tsp ea of oxyclean hot water let sit overnight rinsed this morning and that seemed to do the trick. Don't have any yeasty smell from those bottles and can see right through the bottom. Thank god for oxyclean.

I've gotten to where I always soak all of my bottles in Oxiclean between uses.. My bottles are always sparkly clean as a result.

Hot water and oxy overnight... Then hit with one of these bottle jets.... Never had a problem. Going forward the best thing you can do is give bottles a quick rinse when you empty them.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/jet-bottle-washer.html

That's what about this yeast has befuddled me is I always rinse the bottle immediately after pouring and the film still was there so much so that I checked some of my other bottles I'd rinsed and dried on my bottle tree and they smelled k
like sourdough bread that's when I realized these bottles I used for the Belgian need more attention. Otherwise the other bottles Whee I've used 04 and us-05 come out fine after just a rinse and swirl a couple times.

Oxyclean leaves a white powdery residue (mineral deposits) if left to sit. I'd then have to soak them again in vinegar to remove that.

I have so many bottles now that I'm just recycling them if they're marred in any way.

Back