Cleaning copper CF chiller with lye?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionut

Reaction score
Hi folks,

i have a homemade copper counterflow chiller (copper tube inside a rubber hose) that a friend gave it to me after he bought a Therminator. It seems that he didn't cleaned it after the last use because inside the tube is a black gunk that covers the walls. I don't have any PBW and i tried to clean it with vinegar. Only a few bits of gunk came out.
Now i think of using some Sodium or Potassium Hidroxide that i use for shaving soapmaking. What do you think about this?

What is that going to do, besides waste starsan?

Circulating caustic will probably work, but you need to be able to circulate it with a pump, not fill the line and let it sit.

After the caustic, rinse thoroughly with water, then circulate acid (starsan) for a bit. Then flush with water again.

If that doesn't get it out, the line is probably a lost cause.

I don't have a pump, i will put the lye in my kettle and drain it from there. It will clean the ball valve a little too. I was thinking that the lye could attack the copper and ruin it.

You have a choice. Basically you need to determine what will attack the gunk in the coil. Vinegar is not very strong so I would not write off acids just because vinegar did not work. Copper should not be attacked by either the Starsan or the Hydroxide so both should be copper safe.

Of the two, the StarSan is the least injurious to humans; I suspect that the Lye may be more effective on organic matter (assuming that's what it is). I get that you are probably comfortable with lye from working with soaps (I do as well) but getting it through a tube is a different process than mixing it in a container with oils. I think if it were me I might try the StarSan first just because it is arguably safer. If that does not work you're out a few drops of StarSan and can give the lye a go.

Just some thoughts on it.

Starsan contains Dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid 15%, Phosphoric acid 50% and inert ingredients 35% I don't think surfactants are present.

Starsan is a sanitizer, not a cleaner.

I would try Oxyclean or PBW. Though an oxygen cleaner may cause corrosion?? Use the Starsan for sanitizing AFTER it is clean and just before use. If it dries it is no longer working.

Starsan contains Dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid 15%, Phosphoric acid 50% and inert ingredients 35% I don't think surfactants are present.
From wiki:
Sodium dodecylbenzenesulfonates are organic compounds with the formula C₁₂H₂₅C₆H₄SO₃Na. They are colourless salts with useful properties as surfactants.

Starsan is a sanitizer, not a cleaner.
While technically true, acids denature proteins and can break up "muck" like this. It's easy enough to try.

I would try Oxyclean or PBW. Though an oxygen cleaner may cause corrosion?? Use the Starsan for sanitizing AFTER it is clean and just before use. If it dries it is no longer working.
PBW is a caustic like lye ... if he has it that may be a better choice than lye too. There's lots of choices. I'd try one thing and see if it works. It all depends what it is that's in there.

Copper will oxidize slightly, but that can be followed up with starsan or vinegar to clean it off.

From wiki:

While technically true, acids denature proteins and can break up "muck" like this. It's easy enough to try.

PBW is a caustic like lye ... if he has it that may be a better choice than lye too. There's lots of choices. I'd try one thing and see if it works. It all depends what it is that's in there.

Copper will oxidize slightly, but that can be followed up with starsan or vinegar to clean it off.

It may act as a surfactant but is only 15% of the solution, further if you use it as directed it is diluted one ounce to 5 gallons. Not much cleaning power left.

It is still better to clean with a cleaner and sanitize with a sanitizer like Starsan.

From John Palmer..."The best sanitizer for counterflow wort chillers is Star San. It is acidic and can be used to clean copper as well as sanitize."

My recommendation...10 minutes with hot PBW, 10 minutes with Star San, rinse with hot water and drain

I filled it with lye solution, let it with it for a couple minutes and blast it with water. I think that almost all of the gunk came out. I will repeat it just to be sure.

I filled it with lye solution, let it with it for a couple minutes and blast it with water. I think that almost all of the gunk came out. I will repeat it just to be sure.
Glad you are getting it. Following up with StarSan or even vinegar is a good idea to make sure all is neutralized is a good idea.

Latest posts

Back