Cleaning Commercial bottles for home use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fadeux

Reaction score
Ok, newb question. I have read that it's better to use pop tops, as opposed to twist offs. So, I switched my beer of choice to Sam Adams. My question is what is the best way to clean these bottles (after I've drained them :)) afterwords? I have been soaking them in very hot water for about 20-30 minutes. It lets me cleanly get rid of the label, and they seem clean enough inside. Then I store them upside down in the original 6-pack. Anyone have any tips or advice on methods of bottle cleaning?

If any bottles have grime inside, an overnight soak in hot PBW solution will do the trick. But I agree with Conroe, its much better to rinse them immediately after drinking and avoid the hassle.

I rinse mine after pouring, then when I have a couple dozen I throw them all in the bathtub with oxyclean. Takes the labels off and cleans them inside and out all in one shot.

I just rinse out thoroughly after enjoying the contents, soak in water for awhile, clean off the labels, dry and store. Come bottling day, toss them in starsan mix.

I rinse after I've drank the commercial brew (or my own). I store them in my laundry sink in my basement. Then about once a week (usually Sunday morning) I soak them in hot water and Oxyclean.... Scrub with brush (and remove label)...and then let'em dry on my bottle tree. The next day (when they are dry) I store them in six-packs (in a beer box). On bottling day I rinse them and sanitize them with Star-San...

Latest posts

Back