cleaning bottles with steam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullface1818

Reaction score
I just recently started brewing and I found a interesting way to clean my bottles. I used a hand steamer (I use it for cleaning my carpet) to blast the inside of my bottles with steam (for about 5 seconds)

I let them cool (takes about 5-10 minutes), and then rinse them out with water. is that an effective way to clean empty beer bottles before bottling? I figure it makes them about as clean as their going to get, and their have been no problems so far with my first brew (in the bottle for about a week and tastes just fine).

I just recently started brewing and I found a interesting way to clean my bottles. I used a hand steamer (I use it for cleaning my carpet) to blast the inside of my bottles with steam (for about 5 seconds)

I let them cool (takes about 5-10 minutes), and then rinse them out with water. is that an effective way to clean empty beer bottles before bottling? I figure it makes them about as clean as their going to get, and their have been no problems so far with my first brew (in the bottle for about a week and tastes just fine).

I think the steam is a great idea, but I would leave out the water rinse step. Maybe just steam them and place them on a bottle tree or in the dishwasher.

Check out the December 2011 issue of BYO. They talk about various methods of bottle sanitation (including steam). As I recall, the steam method mentioned was not a home brewer method, but rather what some breweries do.

Back