cleaning bottles in dishwasher with bleach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDSanders

Reaction score
Quick question about cleaning with bleach. If I put the bottles in the dishwasher with a cap full of bleach and run them at full cycle with heated dry will that be sufficient? Will the bleach cause an off taste?

I usually just throw empty bottles in the dishwasher with everything else for the initial cleaning after i use them...then at bottling time i fill the dishwasher with all bottles and run it with no soap/cleaner to sanitize them. it's the heat that does the sanitizing. just make sure your dishwasher gets up to the required temp. some dishwashers have a "sanitizer" cycle. i havent noticed any off tastes & more importantly no infection problems.

I guess it depends on whether you're cleaning them or sanitizing them. For cleaning I'd use a little oxi.. For sanitizing I wouldn't use anything but the sanitize setting and hot water...

I throw my empties in a bucket full of oxy clean solution and let soak for a few days. Then I run them in the dishwasher with no soap to rinse. Then when I bottle, I dip them in StarSan.

I throw my empties in a bucket full of oxy clean solution and let soak for a few days. Then I run them in the dishwasher with no soap to rinse. Then when I bottle, I dip them in StarSan.

+1

Clean = oxyclean
Pre sanitize in dishwasher on hot cycle with no soap/bleach
Sanitize with Starsan (I use a Vinator)
Bottle

Back