Cleaning and storage solution for pH meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiedog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is the difference between cleaning and storage solution for pH meter probes? I don't own a pH meter (yet), but want to purchase one in the near future. Do you use cleaning solution before and after calibrating or testing a sample?

The storage solution is optimized for probe preservation, the cleaner for cleaning.

I only use the cleaner at the very end of a brew day. I don't pH test any beer after it's in the fermentor, and I don't use the cleaner after calibration...

Cheers!

The storage solution is optimized for probe preservation, the cleaner for cleaning.

I only use the cleaner at the very end of a brew day. I don't pH test any beer after it's in the fermentor, and I don't use the cleaner after calibration...

Cheers!

Do you think the fact that most of the cheap meters dont come with any cleaning or storage solution or mention of them might have an impact on why some think they dont last long or work consistently?

I dont allow mine to dry and I believe that why they continue to work as well as they do but they still need to be re calibrated every now and again.

The electrode is glass and can probably be cleaned with about any liquid. I'd say soapy water is perfect.

Mine said to store in pH 4 buffer. The cap that goes over the electrode has a little sponge in it that I keep saturated with pH 4. I think storing in tap water is fine too, but never use DI or distilled.

Storing dry is fine but you need to empty the electrode of its KCl and I doubt anybody here wants to do that - I know I don't :) However, it's the best way to maximize the life of the electrode. The glass of the electrode has a limited life no matter what you do ( it's some sort of special glass impregnated with impurities that allow the hydrogen ions to enter into it, from both outside and inside, which is what causes the voltage difference that is ultimately being measured).

So, WRT electrode storage and life, either buy a cheap one that meets your accuracy and precision needs that can be tossed later without regret, or one that has an electrode that is easily replaced.

Back