pH meter storage - distilled vinegar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavis740

Reaction score
As we all know, pH meter storage solution is expensive and runs out all too quickly. I recently read that white distilled vinegar is a good means of cleaning the meter when the "regular" storage solution crystalizes on it. May one also "store" the meter's probe in said vinegar, or would that harm it?

Storage solution is not expensive. What IS expensive is throwing away your fancy pH meter because you stored it improperly - something that I am acutely familiar with :(

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063MWYMQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Store it in the pH that is recommended by the meter manuf. This is typically one of the calibration pH values, such as 4 or 7. Distilled vinegar, at 2.5 pH, is not ideal.

I use these solutions for calibration. I also use the 4pH for storage, which is what my meter recommends. The storage cap has a sponge and only requires a few drops to saturate, so my calculations tell me that I can get 177 yrs of storage with this one bottle of 4pH. Not expensive.

Storage solution is not expensive. What IS expensive is throwing away your fancy pH meter because you stored it improperly - something that I am acutely familiar with :(

Amazon.com

Store it in the pH that is recommended by the meter manuf. This is typically one of the calibration pH values, such as 4 or 7. Distilled vinegar, at 2.5 pH, is not ideal.

I use these solutions for calibration. I also use the 4pH for storage, which is what my meter recommends. The storage cap has a sponge and only requires a few drops to saturate, so my calculations tell me that I can get 177 yrs of storage with this one bottle of 4pH. Not expensive.
WUT you think is expensive and WUT I do is your opinion. But I do appreciate the info.

No, vinegar is not a good storage solution.

What you're doing with a storage solution, is keeping the electrolytic balance within the probe, at a desirable level. Since most probes are filled with a potassium electrolyte, using a potassium storage solution is desirable. As mentioned, its easy to create your own potassium chloride storage solution. But buying a commercial bottle of solution isn't that expensive and it does last a long time when capped.

Back