Cleaning a Rubber Bung

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrimm101

Reaction score
The rubber bung that I use on my carboy has gotten stained and has taken on a funky aroma. I don't think it has any effect on the flavor/aroma of my beer, but I want to try and clean it better. I have soaked overnight in PBW solution and OxyClean free on separate occasions and it doesn't seem to do anything. was wondering if it's a good idea to soak a rubber carboy bung in a bleach solution, or would that not really help either? Worst case I can replace the bung, I was just hoping there was something I can do to get the stains and smell out.

It looks just like this one with the hole drilled.

universal1.jpg

If you aren't against replacing it you could the the bleach soak. I'd be concerned about the rubber being damaged by the bleach but I have not tried it myself. Mine are similarly stained, I wash them with soap and hot water, dry and star-san and I haven't had any problems.

If you aren't against replacing it you could the the bleach soak. I'd be concerned about the rubber being damaged by the bleach but I have not tried it myself. Mine are similarly stained, I wash them with soap and hot water, dry and star-san and I haven't had any problems.

Are yours similarly stained? Do they hold a smell?

Same here. My bung is old and smelly, but a little soap and water, and occasional Star-San, and it's all good again. :D (I bet you knew someone was going there...)

Back