Cleaning a racking cane...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frolickingmonkey

Reaction score
I kegged a beer a few days ago, late one evening, and forgot about my racking cane and siphon tubing afterwords. It sat out and didn't get rinsed until two days later... So now the cane has got some little dried bits of gunk stuck to the inside. Any advice on how to clean this so I'm not infecting future brews? I was thinking a good soak in hot water with some oxi-clean and then stringing together some pipe cleaners to scrub it out?

Did I just answer my own question?

I wouldn't scrub the inside, you may scratch it. A good soak in hot water and oxyclean or pbw will do the trick.

I've done this before and if you cant get it clean by soaking it you can actually run two shoelaces tied together through your tubing. Once you get them through you can make knots in the shoelace and pull them through and they will scrub the inside. If you tie the two ends of the shoelaces together and complete the circle you wont even have to worry about them accidently falling out.

Might not be the best way but hey it works.

I've done this before and if you cant get it clean by soaking it you can actually run two shoelaces tied together through your tubing. Once you get them through you can make knots in the shoelace and pull them through and they will scrub the inside. If you tie the two ends of the shoelaces together and complete the circle you wont even have to worry about them accidently falling out.

Might not be the best way but hey it works.

i drop a fishing line tied to a brad nail thru then loop one end around a bit of cloth to clean the inside (also known as a field expedient bore cleaner)

So, coincidentally, the last time I was over at my folks' house I noticed my dad had a new, unopened rifle cleaning kit... I borrowed it and used it today and it worked GREAT.

So, coincidentally, the last time I was over at my folks' house I noticed my dad had a new, unopened rifle cleaning kit... I borrowed it and used it today and it worked GREAT.

Now your dad will wonder why every time he goes shooting, it smells like burnt beer.

Back