Cleaning a "new" used keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shetc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am about to do my first kegging into a used Pepsi ball lock keg that I bought from Keg Connection. There is definitely the odor of Pepsi in the keg. Keg Connection says it's not necessary to clean it as they did that as part of their reconditioning process. Should I clean it anyway? And if so, will Walmart Sun Oxygen cleaner be ok to use?

Thanks,

Steve

Imo, if you can smell soda in a keg it isn't truly clean, and thus likely can't be truly sanitized before filling.

I always break new-to-me kegs completely down including removing and disassembling the posts, replace all five o-rings regardless of condition, scrub the keg, lid and dip tubes inside and out, reassemble and soak in unscented OxyFree, then rinse thoroughly and sanitize with standard Star San mix, followed by a leak check. When done there isn't a trace of soda smell remaining, which gives me a higher degree of confidence in the condition of the keg and trusting it with my brew...

Cheers!

Don't know about the Wallymart cleaner, but PBW is great stuff. No harm in cleaning it again.

Thanks, guys, that was very useful information. Used the Walmart cleaner and the Pepsi smell is all gone.

Do I need to take the poppets apart when sanitizing?

For the first time using a keg, yes, I'd break everything down completely, replace all 5 O-rings, and sanitize it thoroughly, including the poppets.

I had the same problem with a couple of kegs that I bought used. Both had the soda smell and the posts weren't right (all had gas only posts, rather than gas and liquid posts). Like others said, I soaked overnight with PBW and hot water, smell was gone.

Thanks everyone for your help. Managed to do my first keg without too many screw-ups. Have a Northern Brewer Sierra Madre American pale ale, set at 40 degrees F and 12.5 psi. I'll let you know in a week how it tastes.

keg.jpg

I heard the co2 shouldn't be in the fridge. Interested to see if you have any issues there.

You've probably seen it before but you can build a 2x4 or 2x6 extension on your fridge then drill holes in that to run your co2 line and your t-probe line through. Convenient for mounting your temp controllers as well.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390091675.310541.jpg

Co2 is fine in the fridge. You do NOT want it laying down. You can damage the regulator with liquid co2

A lot of folks stuff their CO2 tanks in their keezers/kegerators without issue. Aside from it changing the high pressure gauge reading, and if the gauge faces are cardboard the humidity can warp them (and occasionally end up snagging the gauge needle), there really shouldn't be much of a problem...

Cheers!

Thanks for the tip to stand up the tank; it's been lying down for a few days since I had it filled; hope it's ok.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

And thanks for letting me know about being inside.

One other thing I believe I read it in the manual is to tether the tank with a safety chain. This is to prevent it from getting accidentally knocked over in an earthquake or by you. If it does get knocked over and the regulator somehow breaks or the seal on the tank, and all that co2 gets let out into your house it's nap time!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390103937.173741.jpg

One other thing I believe I read it in the manual is to tether the tank with a safety chain. This is to prevent it from getting accidentally knocked over in an earthquake or by you. If it does get knocked over and the regulator somehow breaks or the seal on the tank, and all that co2 gets let out into your house it's nap time!
View attachment 173199

Im not in an earthquake zone but I'm not worries about this. A co2 tank even partially full is pretty heavy and it would take quite a bit to knock it over.

So many beers... so little time.

I think you'd have more to worry about than your C02 tank in the event of an earthquake :mug:

I put my tank inside and never had a single problem. I think your keg looks very happy now. Kegging is the such a great way to homebrew. Well done!

I was being nice about the earthquake part. It's a personal accident that's more likely.

I work in a medical manufacturing facility and trust me c02 kills very quickly, is always unexpected and it is not partial to beer makers.

Safety first guys. I'm not trying to be a downer. But I have to respond with a send of urgency if the attitude is: meh..

The safety chain is in the manual and is 5$... Why not?

I'd urge a reconsider, but I'll say no more.

Peace,
Cris

Ur right. Ignore the manual. Don't be careful with your co2 tank. Accidents don't happen and it won't affect any family members or dogs. Plus we never really store out kegs in tight spaces so that co2 will NEVER be concentrated.

Thanks man. I needed to be brought back down to earth.

Good luck.

I can't understand why anyone would choose not to spend the three minutes it takes to tether a tank of compressed air. As an army medic, that was seocnd nature and common sense to tether or otherwise secure all oxygen tanks, because bad things can happen when compressed air tanks fall down, however unlikely it is. An ounce of prevention...

I went all fancy and spent seven minutes putting a wood frame around mine. :D

DSC_0524-XL.jpg

The bigger problem than the gas leak is the torpedo you would create if the valve were to break off. 1200psi can get a compressed air tank moving pretty quick in a hurry. I wouldn't want to be standing in its way.

I went all fancy and spent seven minutes putting a wood frame around mine. :D

I went one step further and had one of my guys build a base for mine....all varnished and everything.

It fits snugly and has a broad base. This way I can still easily move the tank as needed, but its stable. I've never managed to accidentally knock the tank over. And, I live in an earthquake prone area....it has passed the test of two strong quakes and lots of smaller tremors.

1390510836387.jpg

Thanks everyone for your help! My first kegged beer tastes good (no Pepsi) and seems to have the right amount of carbonation. I brewed the Northern Brewer Sierra Madre pale ale. Nice combo of malt and hops, which is a sweet enough to keep SWMBO happy :)

Back